PCA9535 GPIO Chip (or similar Philips part) questioons

I'm going thru the Philips specs and part of the description is unclear. Hope someone with experience can help.

The documentation says "...After sending data to one register, the next data byte will be sent to the other register in the pair..." The example is data is sent register 3, then the next byte gets stored in register 2. No limit on the number of data bytes sent.

Specific q's are:

  1. What happens if I send data to register 2 - will the next byte be stored in register 3 (the reverse of the example from Philips)? If not, where will it be stored? Is there some automatic means so that the the order of the data doesn't matter - the next byte will always be in the other register for the pair?
  2. What happens if I send three bytes of data? Four bytes of data? If the command is for Input Port 1, then three bytes of data are sent, who gets bytes 2 and three?
  3. Any Pseudo code that illustrates chip communication better than the documentation?

I would ask Philips, but there doesn't seem to be any links to technical questions, and I don't want to discuss this with sales ("Ah, how big is your company and how many thousands per month will you use...?").

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Boland