Palm V rechargeable batter details

Hi,

I want to port my home-brew OS to a palm. I narrowed my choices to the III and the V. Because of the better screen and a couple of other details, I've decided on the Palm V. However, I noticed it has internal rechargeable batteries. So, I assume I need to do a few things to make sure they charge when the unit is in the cradle. I looked through the ucLinux source and there's not enough info about it. It's probably controlled by an fpga and I really don't want to count on being able to reverse engineer this. Or maybe the cradle handles everything via some dedicated pins to the batteries (would be nice), but I can't believe the OS doesn't intervene/assist in one way or another.

Anyone have the details? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Why would you assume that the charging depends on software?

I would think that the cradle is wired in such a way that certain 'pins' carry the power, and automatically start charging the battery when in the unit is in the cradle.

I realize this makes certain assumptions about the internal wiring of the Palm unit as well, but it seems so much simpler to have the charging process be hardware instead of software. (Or doesn't KISS apply to hardware design?? :-P)

--
Lenroc
Reply to

Lenroc,

KISS doesn't really apply to products like this for hardware. Keep it CHEAP does. Having a separate chip(s) to monitor battery life, charge rates, etc. adds cost, takes up board real estate and adds to the power consumption. All that translates into extra $$ and when you sell in the quantities this product does, even a dime makes a difference.

Jim

Reply to
Jim