OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

In the US, the Telegraph would be banned as a left-wing, commie, freedom- hating, raghead- loving propoganda sheet. I must send our Jim a copy of the Guardian sometime... no better not, I don't want to be charged with homicide.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

That might be true if you define literacy by the ability to read printed text, which would of course exclude all blind persons. At least I would consider a person capable of reading Braille and type to be literate.

At least where I live, the birth rate of severely mentally handicapped children incapable of learning to read or write is _well_ below 1/100, even 1/1000 seems to be a high figure.

Since the literacy rate is supposed to be a measure of the effectiveness of the education system, thus, once literate, always literate, so unconsciousness, alzheimer etc. should not effect the literacy rate.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Most of this types of messages in comp.arch.embedded at least are from lazy students who post "do my homework, please" messages. Some of these are smart enough to invent some "explanation" that this is not homework.

If this kind of laziness and dishonesty would be common in growing economies, the western world would not have anything to worry about. Unfortunately, this kind of posts are from the lowest part of their class only. Thus, most part is smart enough to find out the solution to their homework themselves and thus no need to ask in the usenet.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

The prof's and TA's read news too ... what better way to help these guys OUT of engineering school that to really do it line for line for them so it's a clear case of plagurism? At least the dumbest of the dumb will be replaced by someone waiting :)

Reply to
fpga_toys

I very much doubt that most professors in growing economies have ever heard about usenet news.

While it appears that usenet news will sooner or later appear on other forums than groups.google.com, it takes some time for these messages to be visible with ordinary google search expressions. Some lazy students might try to use this delay.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Give the guy a chance he is only suffering from

Irritable Daily Mail Syndrome [1]

There is no known cure...

[1] Daily Mail being a UK newspaper with such editorial ability to complain about asylum seekers getting assitance with housing, then two weeks later complain about the number of homesless asylum seekers on the streets!

Sensible causes to follow is not their strong point, where as knee jerk reactions with made up facts is.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Now, this is funny! You talk about literacy, and then you get the name wrong. It is Doctor Seuss, who's real name was Ted Geisel.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How about the book titles and printing dates?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

... or indeed "*whose* name was" etc.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

It sounds like a consistent cause to me-- they and their readers viscerally dislike foreigners, but can't come out and say it directly.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's a tricky one.

For the most part ( fascists and the like aside ) the UK population seems to be very comfortable with the very broad mix of races and nationalites we have here.

The 'asylum seeker' however is often seen to be questionable. Many are simply economic migrants aiming to be able to bypass normal immigration rules. Many simply 'vanish' into obscurity when their case is refused and quite a few have been shown to be associated with serious organised crime.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Bill, you have evolved into a tedious ritual insult-recycling machine. That sounds like decline to me.

John

Parenting is always done by amateurs. About the time parents gets some experience, they're no longer in the business.

Grandparenting is easy -- spoil 'em rotten and send them home!

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

When I was there, the Nazi-era laws forbade anyone starting work early enough to get the makings for a good breakfast prepared. You could have a roll baked the previous day and a little cheese or butter to put on it.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I borrowed a book from the library titled something akin to "Modern Steam Locomotive Construction" first published in

1894. It was interesting to note that the designers of the locomotives of that era were called master mechanics and there was almost nothing about engineering as we think of it today in the book. Apparently strength of materials was an unknown subject in those days.
Reply to
Everett M. Greene

In article , Jim Thompson writes

Well I agree that is a load of crap from some one with an agenda or completely blinkered. Though as an ex-military person who is a capitalist I am not left wing by any means.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , Joerg writes

The C.Eng requires a degree, More to the point a suitable degree from a recognised university.

You also need three supporters who are also C.Eng and are prepared to sign off on your work experience.

All these "bureaucrats" will be at least degree qualified with a lot of relevant experience behind them. No one on the panel is not a qualified Engineer.

Well the C.Eng requires the relevant degree from a known university PLUS several relevant experience plus continued, structured, on the job training. So if the C.Eng is used as a level for the license all the licensed Engineers will be degree qualified and at least 5 years relevant experience.

IT is possible to get a C.Eng without a degree but the amount of relevant experience goes up a LOT (about a decade I think) and they do expect suitable training and pre-degree qualifications etc

In theory you should only have the Good People licensed but like doctors some Good People don't manage to pass the exams (brilliant but freak out at an exam) and a few Bad People who get though but like doctors and architects it works 95% of the time.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

That takes me back a long way... Colpitts and Heartly were the two I played with :-) Though we used electronic calculators which were just about affordable then.

That is why you go to University to understand the theory and then need some time of on the job training to understand the practice. However one is no use without the other.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I have a wonderful book called "Modern Electric Practice" It is undated, though the latest date mentioned in it is 1903, but it is a stark reminder NEVER to use the word "modern" in a title :-)

The pictures of "modern" factories producing some electrical fittings probably break all the current working practices including child labour!

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

When my wife was working in Germany on closing military bases (environmental cleanup management) the group would sometimes work very late. The German landlady would come and yell at them and tell them that it wasn't proper to be working at those hours.