OT - Project/Task/ToDoList tracking?

Is anyone using a project/task/ToDoList tracking system that they like?

I'm looking for a new/better way to track projects.

Needs: Multi user, preferably client/server. Shared projects, tasks, lists. Should be visible to anyone I give access to.

I run 6-12 simultaneous projects consisting of documents and code. I need to keep the status of each. Some are simple single document items, others are complex lists of items and code. Need to track status, who's assigned, who did it, date finished. Ideally like to have name, date and version number for each item.

I'm inclined towards server based products, but web based hosted services are not out of the question.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

A bug tracking system. The work so well as "job jar" systems that many software projects these days rename them to "issue trackers" and make everything that needs to be done an issue.

I.e. if you have the preliminary data sheet from Marketing and you need to write the system functional spec, that's an issue, and you track it. If you have the system functional spec but no architectural design, that's an issue and you have to track it. If you have an architectural design but no detailed designs for all the bits -- etc.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Haven't used it yet but my company uses MS Sharepoint. It's probably bloatware and few here have used it for anything other other than to post meeting agendas. It's been around here for about a year. It kinda looks like a wiki app.

Since my company adopted Sharepoint, I have to wonder why they didn't just provide a common/freeware wiki port for all users. I've heard several respondents that a wiki is a good tool for project management.

Tim's suggest of using a bug database is good too. He description is exactly how we use it. We originally used a free web based service (from axosoft.com) just to track defects. Now we use it for queuing and tracking work requests. It wasn't planned but it just eveloved into that.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

I have Test Track that I like and would do, but I think it wouldn't work well for this. For each new project we will have a set of standard tasks, each of which decomposes into 1-5 levels of finer detail. There might be other bug trackers though would deal with this better, but not the one I have.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

I actually have Sharepoint and find it to be basically useless. Might work better if I had a full time IT person / web guru to set it up and add new stuff.

One of my guys is suggesting a wiki, but I'm not sure it quite gets where I want to go. I also have MS Project which probably would do the job.

I also have a program called ToDoList from Abstract Spoon. It actually may do most or all of what I need, but I was hoping someone would offer some "perfect" solution.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me