OT Macbook to replace PC notebook?

I'm considering replacing my dated ThinkPad with a MacBook Pro. Used for travel, code development and presentations. I know MS tools are avalailable, but does anyone have experience running embedded tools like compilers and debuggers on a Win VM on Macbooks? Other than it's at least 2X the price, any other issues?

Scott

Reply to
NotReallyMe

I did change to a MacBook Pro a couple of years ago.

If you cannot avoid it, run Windows in VMWare Fusion.

I'm running XP, Solaris, BSD and a bunch of Linuxes in VmWare, without problems. Currently, most of my coding is done under Kubuntu 12.04 Linux with ARM cross-compilers.

Please note that all modern systems aree resource hogs, and you need resources for two operating systems when running with a virtual machine. Get as much RAM and disk as the hardware and budget allow.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Another developer I know does everything on a MacBook - he uses Parallels rather than VMWare, with Windows and Linux virtual machines. I can't say anything about the pros and cons of these two, since I don't use them (I use VirtualBox on Linux hosts to get Windows virtual machines when I need them).

Reply to
David Brown

I'm running AVRStudio, CodeVisionAVR, PSoC tools, CodeRed, MPLAB, P&E Coldfire tools, SolidWorks and quite a few other tools under Parallels on MBP. The only problematic one was the P&E debugger on USB, all the other stuff has been running like a charm. I'm using WinXP as the guest OS, also some stuff on Linux.

With the P&E debugger, I bought the Cyclone PRO, which works through Ethernet and and no problem after that.

I strongly advise to get the maximum possible amount of memory and a fast disk (SSD or 7200rpm) so that you can allocate enough memory for the VMs to run smoothly.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

I've had two ThinkPad's, then a MacBook Pro (was over USD 4,000), and now a ThinkPad again. The worst laptop I (well, the company) have ever owned was the MacBook. Worst display (very limited viewing angle) and then the graphics controller failed, then the battery slowly exploded to be 2-3 times the original size.. the DVD drive in our second MacBook died..

My old ThinkPads from 199x and 2003 are still fully funtional and their display quality beats MacBook Pro 10:1.

Just my Eur 0,02... ;-)

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

Thanks to all for the responses. I'll probably keep using PC notebooks. I'm not sure the price difference is justified. Sure look like nices boxes though.

Reply to
NotReallyMe

Until someone steps on your powerchord and the laptop is dragged off your desk, taking all your debugger pods and development boards on a journey down to the floor. Then you wished you had a MacBook Pro with a magnetic power connector :-)

Apart from that, I found my MBP waaaay more solid with its aluminum frame than most ordinary plastic laptops. I've seen my share of broken harddisk connections in those floppy housings... My MBP is from 2007 and is still going strong...

Just my $1999.... (or $333/year)

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang