OT: Ethernet extender

A bit OT for the group, but it is related to an embedded system ...

I have an application that requires Ethernet to be extended through an existing RS485 serial link, such that I have Ethernet RS485 Ethernet.

I'm aware that there are any number of copper wire Ethernet extenders that will work on bare copper, but unfortunately I have the serial link in the path so I can't get to the bare copper at all.

I also know that there are any number of Ethernet->Serial conversion boxes, but they all seem to be one-path units for converting something that was serial I/O to sit on a LAN. Neither of these things is what I want.

Is there anything I can buy to complete the link? I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for or asking Google for! I know I could build something to do what we need, but I'd rather not if possible.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Anderson

You want a pair of RS232Ethernet bridges such as this (first Google hit). This is, of course, provided that you have the sole use of the RS485 link. If not you will have to write the equivalent. You will probably want to filter multicast and broadcast traffic going over the link.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

I meant, of course, RS485Ethernet bridge! (Sigh: end of day)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

Fantastic Andrew, thanks for that - the thing that was confounding me was "bridge" - stupidly didn't think of that term, once I got "extender" in my mind nothing else came. Searching for Ethernet serial bridge finds lots of similar things.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert Anderson

If you have exclusive use of the RS485 wire then why not remove the RS485 transceivers in favor of the more common and faster "ethernet extenders"?

Recently had need to temporarily link two locations 5,000' apart with ethernet interfaces on each end. IIRC a pair of COTS boxes were $400 and served nicely. Basically they were private line DSL modems talking to each other over a single twisted pair.

Reply to
David Kelly

Unfortunately we only have exclusive use of the line in the sense that "nothing else is using it", not that we can rip out the existing hardware. Actually, there are two possibilities, one with serial tranceivers and one with bare wire, depending on various other things. Obviously we'd prefer bare wire, but ours isn't to reason why ... :-)

Yep, that would be the preferred case.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Anderson