OT a little: Linux program to talk to serial port for downloading firmware?

I'm working on a project using a TI MSP430. The compiler/IDE tool (IAR) wants to run on Windows.

To download new flash code, it want me to use zmodem protocol over a serial line. Which seems to be pretty straightforward on Windows using Hyperterminal.

I haven't used a modem or serial communications program in this century. Is there a nice linux way to do the same thing?

Thx

--
Pat
Reply to

I would recommend minicom.

--
Bertrand
Reply to

It may seem to be straightforward, but Hyperterminal sucks so badly that things which seem to be straightforward usually aren't.

Kermit. If you have sz/sx installed, Kermit knows how to invoke it to send files.

Or you can just invoke sz from the command line or a shell script.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  NOW do I get to blow
                                  at               out the CANLDES??

If you need a good windows terminal program, try teraterm.

Reply to
Artenz

Yup, that's what I was trying to remember. I avoid windows as much as possible, but on occasion in the past have had to do terminal stuff on Windows. Teraterm was always the terminal program that was recommended by the people who suffered windows for a living.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now that I have my
                                  at               "APPLE," I comprehend COST

I've never understood this. The version shipped with Windows 2000 and XP is particularly heinous; under Windows 95/98 it mostly worked.

Reply to
larwe

The normal MSP430 boot loader doesn't use zmodem, so I assume this is a loader that is part of the application. There are various Linux terminal emulators available, XTerm, eterm, rxvt, xvt among them. Look here:

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Didn't know that. Its an Ember ZigBee board, The loader is not part of my application, may be part of the Ember stack.

I'm trying minicom. using an Xterminal is the wrong direction, It works great to let me enter shell commands on my linux box. I want to send characters out /dev/tty0

It seems that no one talks boring old serial RS232 anymore everyone assumes you have Ethernet and use TCP/IP for everything. Or they implement PPP for you.

--
Pat
Reply to

Eh? The '430 has a built-in serial bootloader, and it doesn't use Z-Modem. Are you talking to some sort of ROM-monitor?

Unless you're talking to a ROM-monitor program on the 430, you could just use an MSP430 downloader utilities that runs on Linux

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My CODE of ETHICS
                                  at               is vacationing at famed
                               visi.com            SCHROON LAKE in upstate
                                                   New York!!
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Minicom will proably work. I prever kermit. For Z-modem support, both depend on the command line "sz/rz" command line programs from the lrzsz package (at least that's the package name on Gentoo).

There are a few of us left.;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm not available
                                  at               for comment...

Has anyone found a similar way to program the MC9s08?

Thanks.

--
Steven D. Swift, novatech@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC.      P.O. Box 55997

Well, the '430 is embedded in an Ember dev kit. You actually talk to its "rabbit" processor. Plus, I'm a newbie at this embedded stuff.

Thanks for the link, there is tons of good information there.

--
Pat
Reply to

There is a Linux flavor of the Professional-YAM comms program, with an integrated ZMODEM.

Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) is used in a number of embedded applications which are not well suited to the 1986 programs.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf@omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665

Try gtkterm. I use it for downloading code to an 8051 SBC.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell