Optical reflection sensor, standard part?

I need to detect a very light tube (like a plastic test-tube) running down a ramp. The tube is made of glossy, transparent plastic that may or may not be printed with an irregular company logo or other information. No guarantees on whether it is overall opaque or transparent to IR or any other wavelength, so I don't want to rely on a light gate mechanism.

I'm thinking I can look for a spike in the reflected light level and trigger a one-shot that gives me an indicator pulse (100ms would be nice).

I could design one myself but surely there must be a standard part for this sort of application? I've looked around Omron et al, but all the sensors I can find are light gates. Any cheap, small reflective sensors of the type I'm describing? Distance between sensor and object can be controlled fairly tightly (certainly within 1cm, probably less).

I have considered using one of those IrDA transceivers that have a prepackaged LED, photoFET and amplifier, but they're heavily filtered to reject signals outside the IrDA carrier area and I just want simplicity :)

Reply to
larwe

If it reflects enough light to trigger a sensor then the light going straight through must reduced by at least as much, probably a great deal more as light will be reflected in all directions, not to mention light will also be refracted. with a fine beam and small sensor I would think a gate type would give a stronger change in signal. Only a very flat optically coated surface aligned with the beam would cuase no signal change at all, a test tube is non of these.

Ive used an IR reflective type, both emitter and sensor in one tiny SMD package, I found it registers true on white plastic thats quite close, and false on black insulation tape thats not too close, crepe tape was better, made a simple 4 quadrant rotatary encoder, no idea what glass would do.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Yes, but I forgot to mention that I only have space for the sensor above the ramp, not below it or on either side - so I would have to put a reflector on the bottom side. That's the other reason why I don't want a transmissive method with emitter on one side and detector on the other.

Part number or manufacturer?

Thanks.

Reply to
larwe

Ah that would change things, I was wondering if it migh tbe a bit difficult anyway to usea gate with such a small thing on a conveyor anyway.

SHARP GP2S27CJ000F

Was about the smallest cheapest part from farnell.

Its discrete so you have to build an amplifier/comparator etc but at least you can set the gain to whatever it needs.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Try this part: SG-2BC from Kodenshi. Farnell stock it - it works up to

5mm or so.
Reply to
Vic

Controlled and within 1cm, or controlled to within 1cm? If the former, someting like Hamamatsu p5587 photoreflectors might work. They are a one-part solution (emitter, detector, amp and schmitt trigger built-in), but like most all-in-one sensors of this type, the emitter and detector are close together. That means light hitting the test tube at close to a right angle, so much of it will be transmitted rather than reflected. I don't know if enough would get back for a reliable signal. A separate emitter and detector would allow you to set an angle closer to or even less than the critical angle, which would provide a stronger signal.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Without knowing all the details, an alternative approach may work better. I did see a vaguely similar application some years ago, rather than relying on variable optical reflections, this used a very light plastic arm that got "bumped" upwards each time an object went past. The arm had a tiny rear-earth magnet (about 1x1x2 mm) attached to it, and it triggered a Hall-effect sensor. Dead reliable and simple.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Hello Lewin,

If optical doesn't pan out for some reason ultrasound might be an alternative.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

With a reflector at the bottom and a reflective sensor, you effectively have a transmissive gate with the object in the path twice.

Stef

for

What about mechanical? A "finger" that is lifted when the object passes??

sensors

be

Have you talked to an application engineer from Omron?

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Controlled and within 1cm, +/- 2mm

Thanks for this part suggestion. My next step is to buy samples of all of the parts suggested here and look at what they do. I need to test them against a variety of possible different printing styles on the tubes.

I do very much like the thin-wire-and-magnet idea. I just have to find out if the company that will be making this can assemble such a delicate piece of apparatus.

Reply to
larwe

Very nice, I like this idea a lot. I will try to build a prototype with a magnet on a piece of springy wire; if it works, I'll get the mechanical guys to make something real.

Thanks!

Reply to
larwe

ISTR a sensor which was a microphone on an angled plate which the objects dropped onto.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Any of the major industrial photoelectric sensor manufacturers have 'transparent object' detectors of various kinds: Banner Engineering Sick Optik Cutler-Hammer Keyence etc Just contact an Applications Engineer and tell them what you're trying to do. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews