LED's in tubes?

Can I put a snug, thin, opaque plastic tube (like a straw) around the body an LED to prevent the escape of light except out the end of the tube? The tube will extend approximately 1/8" past the top of the LED. I am concerned about heat buldup. The LED will be operated at normal spec -- 20 ma.

Reply to
Ken C

Yes.
Reply to
John Fields

LED produces very little heat at rated specs so it should be fine.

--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it\'s already
too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX

To be absolutely sure, you'll just have to test it out, but I think it will be fine at normal room temps. A straw won't do much to keep the light in, but fiber optic cable or a "litepipe" will do it easily. Litepipes are solid plastic tubes that can move light around corners and the like. I believe that digikey sells them.

As for the heat, I ran an RGB LED with a styrofoam peanut pushed over it to act as a diffuser. After many hours, I didn't notice any difference in the light output. I'm sure the wire leads of the LED did a better job of removing heat than could possibly be dissipated thru the plastic enclosure.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Sure. An aluminum tube would be even better from opacity, reflectivity and heat conductivity standpoints.

Reply to
John Popelish

Absolutely. I did exactly this with about 50 LEDs on a snazzy panel some small company was building where I was a temp. They had this LED panel mounted about 1/2" behind a sheet of transparent lexan with the light pattern screened on the back, and you practically couldn't tell which LED was lit, so I got some straws at the local fast food joint, cut them into 1/2" pieces, and slipped them over the LEDs. Worked perfectly, and they shipped the sucker and started ordering straws, and kept my jig!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For a nice fit you can use heat shrink tubing if you are careful about how you apply the heat. Black heat shrink is very opaque.

Reply to
Rodney

So. What is it you *really* want to do ?

There are dedicated 'lightpipe leds' if that's your intention.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

20 ma at say 3 volts (maximum) ? That's 60 milliwatts, or one sixteenth of one watt. Not likely to burn the fingers or anything else!
Reply to
Terry