Non Standard Ethernet pass through connector

I have been asked by a customer if we can mount my networked product in a I P67 case. It has three connectors, power, RS232(D connector) and Ethernet(RJ45 10/100 ) which need to pass through the case wall. For the power and RS232 I am intending to use Souriau UTS Hi seal connector s (basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors) I am wondering if the same connector could be used for the Ethernet. I know its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
steve

case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

As long as the connections to/from the connectors are done with CAT5/CAT6 cable and the twists are not opened too far, it should work. 10BASE-T goes even some blocks along an electric fence, but 100 Mbits/s is more demanding.

--

-Tauno Voipio
Reply to

case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

These get used whether they "work" or not. You should be able to pull something like the RMON etherStats table:

from the target to see if you get errors.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

We use these IP67 network connectors from Amphenol SOCAPEX: They're beasts and not cheap but they are "real" network connections and pretty easy to implement. Go up a page for some other options there.

Reply to
Rich Webb

IP67 case.

00) which need to pass through the case wall.

ors (basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

ow its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wa ll sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cabl e from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm .

it would probably work, as you say if done carefully the distance it isn't probably twisted etc. won't have be much worse than a punch down wall connector

else I believe neutrik ethercon are ip67 when mated, there aren't terribly expensive

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

I'm vaguely familiar with Bulgin's Ethernet Buccaneer range (IP68) from using them although I've never actually installed them in something I was doing myself.

Prices seem to be all over the place depnding on seemingly irrelevant details of the internal conenction method - looking at Farnell's UK site the sweet spot seems to be panel mount line couplers at £7.90 - for some reason punch down blocks are knocking on for twice that. Sealing caps under are under £1 a peice and the matching plugs £9.33 (but hcekc the ready made leads are not in effect cheaper), all in unit quantities.

Pricey for what they are but equally probably cheap enough that I'd simply fit them for the avoidance of doubt.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

Probably that connector works OK. I've seen M12 ethernet connectors in many tough places and there are switches, cables etc. available with M12.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

The old rule of thumb is that as long as the length of the mismatched section is well below 1/10 wavelength, it should not matter. At 100 MHz and considering the velocity factor, the wavelength is about 2 m, thus a section shorter than 20 cm should not matter.

Looking it in time domain, with a bit time of 10 ns, a reflection at 1 ns would only deform the raising and falling edge, while the actual signal sampling point is somewhere in the middle of the bit time.

Reply to
upsidedown

IP67 case.

00) which need to pass through the case wall.

ors (basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

ow its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wa ll sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cabl e from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm .

Reply to
steve

stage, and maybe go/try a cheaper connector if the volumes pick up

IP67 case.

which need to pass through the case wall.

(basically circular IP68 waterproof connectors)

its not impedence matched, but looking at the wiring in many ethernet wall sockets they must have some miss match too and they still work. The cable from the connector to the Ethernet socket on our PCB would be around 15cm.

Samtec make sealed ethernet connectors which are significantly cheaper thean the Amphenol connectors. They even provide free samples very quickly.

Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus