New AVRs again?

Hi:

Just wondering if any new AVR devices are nearing announcement, or if the ones currently on Atmel's site represent a fairly recent spurt of new developments?

I am delighted to see 20MHz offerings in the AVR lineup these days. It has been almost 2 years since I have worked on an AVR project, and now need to make some changes to one.

In the process I'm thinking of clearing out my drawers of old "mature products" and selecting a new portfolio of preferred devices for new projects. I like to have a small range of mainly IO count, memory size, and package choices. But not too many total devices so as to avoid much overlap and just plain confusion. About 4 options is nice.

I will be stocking ATtiny2313 for little jobs, and probably something like ATmega88 or ATmega168, a 40-pin variety to upgrade my 8535 projects, and one of the "top of the line" models. Would like all choices to be in-circuit debuggable with the JTAGICEmkII tool since it's cheap.

Atmel's parametric table is a little bit deficient (Ulf, are you listening?) in regards to two important params: debug options such as JTAG and debug-wire, and the presence or not of an external SRAM bus.

I was hoping they would have updated the clocks by a 50% boost over the

16MHz devices, such as 24-32MHz or something, but I certainly am happy to see 20MHz. I suppose it is difficult with these things mainly because of the flash.

Just thinking in public on a slow Saturday.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen

Hmm. Consider this: At the moment the 8535, mega16 and mega32 are a pin-compatible family. As you need space, you can migrate up the ladder. There isn't *CURRENTLY* another set of parts that offer this range, though the xxx8 parts (88, 168, 328, and I think the Atmel rep told legends of a 64K part too...) are getting there.

We design around the mega8L, and the "8535 et al" footprints, at least for the moment. However I know we are looking at the xx8 debugWire parts for a couple of new designs. By the way, the ..8 suffix appears to be the code for debugWire support.

Reply to
larwe