Need help getting started with New Micros 8051 board

I have the New Micros NMIY-0031 board and I can't figure out how to load my compiled assembly program on it.

I found this MetaLink 8051 Assembler and compiled the following code without any errors:

$MOD51 org 0 clr P1.0 Loop: ajmp Loop END

I then bring up a connection to the board with a terminal program and get the MONITOR menu, I try L for load intel hex file. I try pasting the intel hex file in and it errors out after the first line. I suspect it has something to do with the "org 0" and where the program should be placed in ram. The documentation that comes with the board is pretty sparse and doesnt have any assembly examples so I am kinda stuck here.

My questions:

  1. Where should the program start in ram/what should be changed in the code?
  2. Is this assembler any good or is there a better/more used one?
  3. The way the board is set up, I am going to have to load the program into ram every time it loses power right?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben,

-0031)

Are you sure the MetaLink assembler accepts "$MOD51". That directive looks a bit assembler specific to me. I'd comment it out.

Shouldn't there be leading whitespace before the "org" ?

Dave Bardon, Avocet

Reply to
Avocet Systems, Inc

The $MOD51 directive is from this assembler and without it the assembler doesnt know what P1 is. As for the whitespace, I tried putting it in there and the hex comes out the same.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

you said you "paste in" the the hex data. what about the checksum? Set up the metalink assembler to generate a hexfile. then use the L command to send the hexfile to the board.

Reply to
Ryan Wheeler

figgured it out--the terminal was sending the characters too quickly and it worked fine once I put in a 50ms delay between characters.

Does anyone know about the timers on this board? I read something about not being able to use them while the monitor chip is installed.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

you see some more here:

Ryan Wheeler

and with Google search for NMIY0031, lots of hits.

Reply to
Ryan Wheeler

Try a post at

Neil Kurzman