Need advice: want to enter the Embedded field

In article , Dave Hansen writes

Some of use are embedded Engineers and qualified in both HW and SW.....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Oh, I don't know about the last one. I once had a manager who sat and typed into a terminal for 30 minutes on _several_ occassions. It wasn't even plugged in to power. 8-/

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

Then take pics of it, take schematics, take it to your interviews. It at least shows you did something real, whether it was a requirement or not.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

Inspiration comes from a manager at a PPOE who broke a PGA 486 package in half trying to remove it from its socket on a board we were developing. Back in the days when these, um, weren't cheap...

Regards, -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Hi Steve, I love robots - anything moving, with motors and actuators etc, taking in real sensor data (temperate, pressure, light etc). I'd love to work on Vehicle Diagnostics - I think my imagination of the little buggy running around reflects just that. So what do I do? I could make a mock Diagnostic system that takes sensors from data and displays the state of the system and controls things too. I have no clue what to do. snipped-for-privacy@dogod.com said he had some ideas of his own. I'll follow up with that too. "Andy"

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Reply to
Amir

Dave, Thanks, I do have pics- but not schematics. I'm trying to get those. I have a big report we wrote on it so thats good.

Tim Wescott wrote:

all but legal documents.

I dont understand completely where and where not I can use the nickname. For a car reservation, doctor's appointment? Doctors forms, Employment, Cell phone bill, Rental agreement, signing my name in an email. Thanks for your suggestions!

'Andy'

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Amir

Ok, my birth name is James, but I've gone by Jim most of my life. My business cards say Jim, I introduce myself as Jim and I sign memos and engineering documents as Jim.

Anything having to do with the government or medical records is James. Employee forms that link to your SSN probably should match. Rental and cell phone agreements probably don't matter.

As to banking, I've been inconsistent over the years and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have one credit card that says Jim and another that says James. Likewise with checking accounts. Just sign the docs the same way it appears on the statements and cards.

Keep in mind there's probably millions of Dick/Richard Jim/James Bob/Robert, etc in the US and the system knows how to handle it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thank you, those are good points! I'll think more on it, I might think of going with Allen.

Reply to
Amir

Way back in the dim past most Western names actually had meaning -- they were descriptive (brave, good-looking, faithful, honoring god, etc.) or they were names of old gods.

If you're really in a quandary you could take your name's meaning in your native tongue (if it's Arabic then it means 'Prince', but you knew that) and look for a western name that matches it (Brendan, from Welsh via Irish, is one that came up). That way you're not _changing_ your name, you're just _translating_ it for us ignorant westerners (not that anyone knows what the heck Brendan means without looking it up, except maybe half the Brendans out there).

Or you can just go with "Allen", which means 'handsome' and may have once applied to me (my middle name is Alan) but would be ironic now if you could see my face (I'll have to look for one that means 'bald with big nose').

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

This just showed up in my inbox from a friend:

It includes a 'graduating engineer employment guide' that might prove useful.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services