Keil MCB900 and newer P89LPC932 chips

I was recently given an unwanted Keil MCB900 board with a PLCC P89LPC932B chip on it. I don't often play with 8051 but I'd like to tinker with this board a little as it came with a bunch of other LPC9xx eval hardware ( several PAB90X-1 eval boards for instance, and tubes of LPC903s).

Complete markings are: P89LPC932B A CB8146.W17 T10309 XE

The LPC932B appears to be discontinued and replaced by P89LPC932A1FA-S. Can I just swap them over, or does the board rely on some aspect of the older chip? What configuration should I use? There's a note on the box saying that I have to use the "D" step settings, which I presume relates to the chip currently on it.

Reply to
larwe

Hi larwe,

the LPC932A1 is drop-in compatible to the LPC932B and by the way you really want to use the A1, the first 932s had a problem that you could easily overwrite/erase the internal programming routines. This is fixed in the A1s

The LPC903 that you got can only run from internal RC oscillator but still works with the build in UART. afaik, this is the smallest 8-bit chip with a HW-UART.

Used both chip already, very nice low cost devices, you get 3.7 MIPS our of them running from the IRC-oscillator, much more than you get from a PIC and similar to the 4 MHz AVRs.

An Schwob

larwe wrote:

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

Great. Thanks :)

I didn't really look at the datasheet in detail yet, but the applications where I would use an 8-pin micro are those where I need all the I/Os and would need to use an internal RC clk anyway :) Good news about the UART, that's a nice feature.

Reply to
larwe

Also, others in the 'small with UART' category, are the upcomming LP213/LP214/LP216 from Atmel. These also have _separate_ SPI ports, so you can do a SPI-UART in a TSSOP package.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville