MSP430F2013 documentation frustration

I have this love-hate relationship with TI's documentation. On one hand, once you understand a module, you can use it on any micro. On the other hand, the cross-referenced docs are usually inconsistent and /always/ very confusing. (I still haven't worked out how to connect, let alone use, the sigma-delta ADC, and every time I try to use a timer on an MSP430 I wind up playing with clock control/divider bits for a week. The same signal is called three different things in different documents).

Right now I'm trying to work out how the Timer_A2 module is mapped to I/Os on the F2013, because I want to do some PWM. The chip datasheet has a very confusing table in it, but as near as I can figure out, signal "TA0" is routed to both pins 3 and 7 of the DIP/TSSOP packages, and "TA1" is routed to pins 4, 8 and 13.

I _guess_ you connect whichever pin(s) you want to Timer_A2 using the PxSEL registers.

But WTF are these TA0 and TA1 signals??? The only obvious outputs shown in the timer block diagram are "OUT" and "OUT2 Signal".

According to the MSP430x2xx user guide, there is no such signal TA0/TA1 in the Timer_A module. Searching the user guide for TA0 finds only entries in the USI and ADC modules. Argh.

Any ideas?

Reply to
larwe

email me if you remain puzzled - there happens to be an eZ DSP right next to my elbow whose S-D converter is perking along quite convincingly (I'm not sure if it's _right_, but it is convincing).

Correct. I found the table fairly clear, but it may be a result of struggling with the TMS320F2812 documentation for several years.

Yes.

The TAx signals are the same as the OUTx signals. Look at the discussion around page 8-15 about OUTx vs. the TACCRx threshold registers. Basically you can make them do your will by setting bits in the TACCTLx register. About the only useful thing you can get the TA0 signal to do is set, reset, or toggle when your timer rolls over, but you can make the TA1 pin do a nice PWM.

I suggested to TI years ago that they hire away all of Motorola's documentation department. I don't think they listened.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hello Tim,

Go by the table on pages 9 and 10 of the data sheet. Says what can go where. Then back to the F2 family guide to figure out which register does the port pin routing.

It sure does a nice PWM. Very clean.

Part of the problem might be that the core docs seem to be written in Freising in Germany. That's the birth place of the MSP430 series and many of the engineers are German (shows in the docs at times, but not too strongly...). Then other docs are written in the US or other places.

So if you follow the family guide and the data sheet tables it vill do vot you vant it to do. Usually ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Dear G-d, the TUSB3200A and TAS1020B docs suck in ways you don't know ... because there's so much that's just not documented, like the whole soft PLL thing. Ugh.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Thanks, I might take you up on this - but resolve to poke randomly at the registers and pins first.

I've used the MSP430 rather a lot, but never this particular part, and never the PWM outputs. I'm presently trying to determine if what I want to do is even feasible given the multiplexing on the F2013.

What throws me is that the signal names on the core (in the device datasheet) are totally unrelated to the signal names shown in the block diagram in the user manual. I had this sort of problem a couple of times with the F1122, but never anything as bad as this one.

Why thanks, right neighborly of you.

Reply to
larwe

From what I can tell that department didn't go to Freescale ;-)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

[snip]

Good idea but omit the people who worked on the CPU12 manual.

On the MSP430 programming documentation side, the description of the hardware multiplier seems to have been translated from Swahili to Chinese to German to...English.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Hello Everett,

You mean chapter 8 in the F4xx family guide? Looks ok to me except for the somewhat excessive use of commas. They use a lot of these in German. Then again I grew up speaking German...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yep! :) I'm just working on TAS1020B powered project. And stuck on this SOFT PLL. Actualy I will put the code from Firmware Developlment Kit by TI i the worse case, but I don't like such magic-style :-| .

Is there any clear sample or description on it ?

Reply to
igorus