m8cutills on Linux

I installed the m8cutills on my fedora 5 linux computer at home.

ran "make Install" in the main directory

and ran "make tests" in the main directory and everything passed.

My problem is I tried to run the m8cas assembler from command line and I can't get it to work. I copied the blink.asm file that is in the "sim" directory into the "as" directory and typed "m8cas -b blink.asm" on the command line and all I get is "m8cas not found" errors.

The m8cas executable is in the "as" folder, but I'm not having much luck. I'll be the first to admit I'm not super proficent at Linux, so I guess it is something dumb I'm doing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Linux does not run programs in the current directory as a matter of course. m8cas needs to be executable (test passed, so I guess it is) and you need to give an explicit path to the executable if the current directory is in the path (e.g. ./m8cas).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I tried it from outside the directory aswell, but I'll give it another try tonight.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric

"make Install" won't work: Try "make install" instead. You will need root privileges for this to succeed.

Once installed m8cas will be in the path at /usr/bin/m8cas. You can verify that with:

$ which m8cas

Then cd to sim/examples and type:

$ m8cas -e -o blink.rom blink.asm

That should work.

Best of luck.

Brian

Reply to
Winston Smith

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight.

Reply to
Eric

I got it working!!! I had to rerun "make install" as the root and everything worked after that.

Reply to
Eric

It doesn't really matter this time, but in general you need to quote enough to make your article stand by itself. See the following sig,

-- If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only an interface to Usenet; it's not Usenet itself. Don't assume your readers can, or ever will, see any previous articles. More details at:

Reply to
CBFalconer