Looking for ancient version of RTX-Tiny (for 8051)

Hello,

I'm using a really, really old version of C51; specifically, version 4.10, old enough that it's branded with the Franklin name. I'm maintaining a couple of existing products, and although I have the compiler, linker, etc., I don't have the RTX-Tiny libraries.

I've purchased the latest Kiel product, including the RTX-Tiny subsystem, but the RTOS interface (and in fact it appears the entire library structure) has changed, and cannot be used with the older version of the compiler that is still in use on these older products.

The Franklin and Kiel companies parted ways quite some time ago, apparently in a large cloud of dust. Although there is still a Franklin software site (fsinc.com), all the email links on it bounce, and the phone number listed has been disconnected.

I certainly would like to acquire these older RTX-Tiny libraries. Does anyone have an idea where I might track them down? I don't want to encourage software piracy in any form, so I'd be willing to pay a sensible license fee (remember, this stuff is >>10 years old...) to upgrade my existing compiler tool chain, if it seems appropriate.

Thanks for any help you can give!

-- Mark Moulding

Reply to
Mark Moulding

Did you contact Keil about this? They may have them.

Reply to
Neil

Yup - the word I got is that they never received any of the Franklin-branded code back into their repositories. Whether or not that's true I have no idea, but it's quite clear that Keil actively avoids any association with the Franklin products.

For that matter, they wouldn't even let me "upgrade" my current 8.x software to 7.x, although the files are clearly shown on the web site. Why would I want to do that, you ask? Because I want to run the tool chain under Linux, which I can do in a DOS emulator, except that the 8.x products use a unique computer keying (probably the disk serial number) scheme that doesn't seem to work under Linux. Apparently the 7.x product doesn't have this security "feature".

So I'm back hunting for ancient 4.x RTX-Tiny libraries again. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

-- Mark Moulding

Reply to
Mark Moulding

In message , Mark Moulding writes

There is much unhappy history there I believe. Franklin rebadged Keil for the US market..

Probably because of the Franklin association

If you go to a windows box and use a legitimate V8 I am sure Keil would help. I have certainly supplied older versions for people

Find an old demo CD of the Keil C51. RTX Tiny was "free" on the PK-51 and AFAIK the old demo CD's had it on.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

Well, actually I spent quite some time on the phone with their support staff, on two separate occasions, with different support associates, and pretty much ran into a stone wall both times. The biggest concession I was offered was an additional license key so that I could run the product on three, rather than the default two, unique computers - Windows only:

"We don't support Linux installations of any kind." "We're not authorizing any new 7.x serial numbers." "Your license is only qualified for version 8.x product."

Bleh!

That's an idea. I believe I have an old Franklin-branded demo of their early Windows-based IDE. Now if I can just find where I put those floppies...

Thanks for the memory nudge!

-- Mark Moulding

Reply to
Mark Moulding

In message , Mark Moulding writes

IT would be if you wanted Linux support.

At least they are trying to be helpful

Don't blame them for not supporting Linux... they don't support VMS either. IF you choose an OS the SW vendor does not support it is hardly their fault

I have some old version of the Keil demo Cd. Email me direct.