LONWorks vs. Ethernet

Sine waves reflect too. I was intrigued so I looked at their website and it looks to me that maybe the bandwidth of the signalling method is limited to avoid reflections. Although they do mention termination:

and also mention that you can do 2000M with terminated bus topology:

It depends on how slew-rate limited the RS485 drivers are, and how long the wiring is. I wonder what the slowest available RS485 driver is? This method however does look quite primitive compared to the Lonworks stuff - it looks like a nice solution. I haven't used it, but did come into contact with it on a project (someone else was doing the lonworks), and I got the feeling that Nueron chips themselves where pretty awful, with the Nueron C. But the networking stuff looks good.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to

Hello Randall,

Why not try to find out which LonWorks modules already exist that can do your job. That way you don't have to go to deep into LonWorks.

I know that there are several LonWorks manufacturers that do have (multi-channel) analogue input modules.

Also, I would suggest that you ask your questions in the LonWorks Conference on the Echelon site. A lot of Lon folk is using that as the LonWorks newsgroup.

Kind regards,

Maikel

Reply to
Maikel

... snip ...

Nothing is immune to reflections, because all signal propagation is over lines. The adage "everything is a line" applies. The effects may become small in comparison to the signal under certain conditions. Line length is effectively how you achieve resonant antennas. Line termination effectively extends the line indefinitely, so that the signal never reaches the end, and thus never reflects. Exact termination is inherently impossible, so some small fraction of signal is always reflected, but may well be undetectably small.

CBFalconer

and

still,

Linux

the

If you want to take advantage of an existing electrical network, you could look for homeplug devices for instance

Lanarcam

This is called the lonworks "short-stack" API. I recall that it can be accessed by SPI or UART versions. However, it is not a complete interface, as network management operations are not supported. Therefore it is not possible to commission a lonworks network using the shortstack API.

regards, Johnny.

Reply to
Johnny