Learning the Atmel 8051 programming

I'm gathering resources for learning the Atmel 8051. I'm not finding specific resources for the Atmel 8051 for assembly. Is there a great deal of difference between an Atmel 8051 and a non-specific 8051? Would "almost" any 8051 book and code work on the Atmel?

Also, website or book recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

Reply to
Sean Whitesell

Of course not. The programming language of an Atmel 8051 is the same as for any other (true) 8051 --- that's the *definition* of it it being an "8051", essentially.

No. If there were, it woulnd't have the right to call itself an 8051.

To a certain extent. While the machine language is the same, almost every 8051 variant has its own set of hardware peripherals, and thus its own meanings for all the SFRs. There's a common ground even there, but you'll have to expect to recompile existing code every time you change from one 8051 variant to the other.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

- at least, the 8051 architecture reduced me to looking at their products on a few occasions ;)

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "And me? I'm on the lookout for a proper transformer..."
Reply to

In article , Sean Whitesell writes

Yes. all 540 odd 8051's have a lot in common. There are more differences between members of the Atmel 8051 family that some of those members and members of other silicon vendors 8051's.

Which Atmel 51 did you have in mind?

See

books section. There are reviews of over 3000 books by Engineers. There is a section on Embedded books. The BTW ACCU does NOT sell books.

Also

for the C51 primer and other papers on embedded development

There is some 8051 Sw and free tools on the main part of the web site.

after that there is of course

Regards Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

just get your hands on an Atmel data book and your good to go

Reply to
Bobsprit

And get the original Intel MCS-51 manual. It goes into a lot of detail.. better if you can score a printed version, but they were printed on very low quality paper.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In article , Spehro Pefhany writes

I have an Atmel "microcontroller" data book containing all the detail from the original MCS51 manual, plus the variations for their products. I don't think you can download it from their site, I got it from an atmel distributor.

--
Tim Mitchell
Reply to

You can still download the MCS51 manual from the Intel site. I did it the other day.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Did you mean this document, or do you have a more complete one?

Stef
Reply to
Stef

No it has more info than that. It has lots of hardware details on how the ports, oscillator and reset circuit work. It is identical to the original intel one, but with further sections for the special features of the atmel devices.

--
Tim Mitchell
Reply to