LCD type on Microchip's Picdem.Net board?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the part number / manufacturer is for the

2 x 16 LCD display used on Microchip's PicDem.Net demo board? A URL to a data sheet would be especially helpful. Oh, and a schematic for the board itself would really sweet!

Thanks,

rz (at) nikola.invalid

Replace invalid with com to reply.

- Robert

Reply to
RZ

Umm, did you look at the User Manual?? You can get it from Microchip's website.

Reply to
Gary Kato

There are no numbers visible on it, at least without desoldering it. Looks like a generic COG LCD module to me.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have a PICDem2 board (Most of the PICDems seem to use 2x16 LCDs) and I can make out 16202 in the upper left corner.

Reply to
Gary Kato

It seems to be using a Hitachi HD44780 controller, which is what I needed. Thanks,

- Robert

can

Reply to
RZ

It's not in the user's manual. At least I didn't think so. I'll take another look.

website.

Reply to
RZ

The scematic is in the User Manual.

Reply to
Gary Kato

RZ wrote

It is a Fuji FCS2314AK; we had to modify our standard Hitachi LCD driver when Microchip switched the PICDEM.net display to COG, as there was an issue with the characters being displayed upside down. However, the Fuji code is backwards-compatible with Hitachi parts.

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Jeremy Bentham

Also, I notice that the E signal to this display is RD5, which is also part of the data bus to the RTL8019. Without moving this connection to a different port pin, there's no way to keep the display from being corrupted. What is "COG"?

- Robert

needed.

issue

Reply to
RZ

I see, COG = Chip On Glass.

the

is

Reply to
RZ

RZ wrote

the

All the circuit diagrams I have show the LCD E signal on RA5; if it were RD5 the LCD would be useless.

Chip On Glass. Initially Microchip used the conventional black-framed Hitachi-type LCDs, then switched to the COG module when the board went surface-mount..

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Reply to
Jeremy Bentham

can't remember what board I purchased, but the lcd was an hd44780 (or somthing like that, just google for "hitachi hd lcd"

hth goose, been long since I did anything with the lcd

Reply to
goose