Lantronix X-Port problems & serial to ethernet servers

Hi All,

Back in April this year there was a few posts to this group about the new embedded x-port server from Lantronix.

I am interested in how many people are using these little devices and are writing Java Applets for them? I am a little concerned about the lack of security on these devices, as anyone on the network can just write data to the ports to control the IO pins and serial link.

I have brought myself two of the XPort samples, but have been having trouble getting the 'Environmental Control Sample Solution' running. I have to assume someone has this working fine and that I am doing something wrong?

My problem is with getting the Java Applet running (thermostat.java). I can upload the two pre complied cob files (from the CD) to the Xport fine however when I try to open the page http://xx.xx.xx.xx/thermostat.html I just get the applet outline and after about 10 seconds a blank page with nothing else. I can download the thermostat.gif and thermostat.html etc, so i know the cob files are getting uploaded correctly, just the applet does not run.

I have got the GPIO example from Lantronix and have now modified it and uploaded it fine so I know that some java applets work fine. After all the thermostat is the only one I can't get working!

Any ideas?

I have emailed tech support and found this to be not that helpful.

What are designers using their Xports for? I wish to use them for controlling rs232 projects over the network. I was hoping to just add the Xport, but have found now that I need to add some password protection on the RS232 link side as the Xport has just about none. Anyone can write data to any port!!

Having a serial port that can only go upto 230Kbs is a little limiting as well. Would have been nice to have a SPI port or even the ProFibus connected to the outside world. The ProFiBus was 12Mbps!!

Embedded Ethernet, Data & GPS Logging Systems, Nokia F-Bus Interfacing AVR Microcontroller Designs, MP3 Players.

Reply to
Wayne Peacock

I'm using the XPort to network enable some old designs mainly using just the serial to network features. The web server adds a few handy things so that people can review the state of the machine without having to load the system software. I found that users usually needed to download the Sun JRE because the Microsoft one didn't always work.

Peter

Reply to
moocowmoo