JTAG programming the NXP LPC23xx

Hello,

I'm starting a new code for an already developed hardware using a LPC2387, normally I use units from ST it's the first time I write code for NXP and I'm impressed with the documents available... they are really bad or I'm looking in the wrong place.... well, for manufacturing reason I must to use a JTAG like the one we have in our plant, normally I write the script of it to work with the core we use, but this time I simple can't find any documents describing by access to the internal's LCP2387 flash using the JTAG. Can someone tell me if this information is available and where to find it?

Another doubt is: this one is a ARM7TDMI-S, I already have scripts for this core, is the JTAG chain equal besides the manufacturer? I mean, if I have an script JTAG that works well in the attempt to write the flash of a ARM7TDMI-S core from ST the same script will work to access a ATM7TDMI-S from NXP? I think not, but must to clarify....

Regards, Gustavo

Reply to
Gustavo Vargas

Op Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:59:44 +0200 schreef Gustavo Vargas :

Why would you want to do that? It has already been done for you.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

If it turns out you cannot find any proper information, there is an open source JTAG tool called openocd that supports the NXP parts (as well as many others). The information must be in there somewhere...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The problem is: our company uses an outsorcing service to assembly the boards, there they program the board with a self test code and tests the board prior to dispatch them. They have a gang programmer to do this final step. Normally when I send the documents (gerber, instructions, self-test code), I send too a script compatible with this programmer so they can use it with the processor in the board. Normally I do not have any problem to find this information and write this script, but this time I can't find anything relevant. All document available at NXP are too poor to describe the processor it self, and the JTAG is practically omited from this documents....

This is the reason I'm looking for this information, by now, while I'm working at my lab, I'm using a commercial JTAG programmer like the one you send me the link. But in some days I'll need to know how this is done by hand so I can write my script.

Regards,

Regards,

Reply to
Gustavo Vargas

,

The gang programmer needs to understand the part to be programmed.

Normally, we send them the programmer as well.

The way we do it is to Jtag a small program to SRAM and receive program codes a block at a time, then write the codes to Flash.

Reply to
linnix

From what you say I suspect you might only have the *data sheet*. Download a copy of the LPC23xx *user manual* (UM10211) from NXP's website - it has infinitely more information.

We haven't tried using JTAG as we use the FlashMagic tool to program our LPC2xxx boards via the UART - a very straightforward process. However, according to the user manual:

"Debug tools can write parts of the Flash image to the RAM and then execute the IAP call "Copy RAM to Flash" repeatedly with proper offset."

The IAP (In-Application Programming) facilities are documented in great detail in the manual. The LPC2000 Yahoo technical group is a great source of assistance if you need additional help:

-- Chris Burrows CFB Software Armaide: LPC2xxx Development System for Pascal programmers

Chris Burrows

In fact I found this few minutes ago, and you are right, they explain how to do the programming process using the IAP, but WHY this document isn't in the mais page of the LPC2387?? Well.. maybe they forgot to put the MAIN document in the page...

Thank you for this! I think will be very usefull

Reply to
Gustavo Vargas