Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"? - Page 4

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

How can HE complain about the inappropriate post but to follow with a
post?

Yet you think we should care what you like or dislike.

What was your useful addition?

Brian

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Thank you for your request to be added to my killfile. Your application
has been received and approved. I look forward to ignoring you further.

If you have any other requests, please don't bother. I won't see them.

*plonk*

sherm--

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

The same can be said of any of the hundreds of companies and thousands of
private investigators that do background checks.  The only difference in
this case is that you're being asked to give up your privacy _before_ they
make an offer or even interview you.  Any other company would do the same
thing later in the process.

It's hardly a crime to have a firewall; it's common sense.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

This is rather a massive difference, though. It smells of data gathering
to me.

Richard

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

My concern is not that the data is gathered, but that I have no right
to inspect and correct the data or evaluate the sources.  Personally I
feel you should also have the right to know *exactly* how the data
will be used.  If I am providing access to my economic data, then I
would like to know what they would be looking for to disqualify me
from employment.  If I am using 10 credit cards will that keep me from
getting a job?  How about if I had a foreclosure 5 years ago on a
mortgage that I couldn't pay because I was ill and not able to work?
Why would a company want my *medical* data that they are not allowed
to evaluate???

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Of course it is.

Complain to Congress.  In the US, information gathered is the property of
the entity that collects it.  I understand that in the EU, information about
a person is the property of that person.  That seems better, but I'm sure
clever US companies would find a way around similar rules.  There's just too
much money to be made selling people's personal details.

I've never had a prospective employer ask for medical details before or
after making an offer, other than as they relate to my ability to do the job
(e.g. can you lift up to 50lbs).  They rightly consider that between me and
the health insurance carrier.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I wish I thought that would make a difference.  Corporations have so
much more leverage with even *elected* government officials.  So many
people are ignorant of the things that the government allows and how
companies get them to pass legislation not in the citizens best
interest.  But I may take this up.  It is easy enough to write an
email if you can get an email address for anyone in the Capitol.

The company was Tellabs and they wanted to to give permission to
investigate my personal background, finances, job history and medical
history; all before I even interviewed!  As an engineer in the defence
sector I am used to this sort of scrutiny by the Federal government,
but even *they* have never asked to investigate my medical
history!!!

To be honest, I don't even get the personal background or finances.
Sure there may be a one in 100,000 chance that if I have a debt
problem that it will affect my work.  But wouldn't that show up in my
work history?  Same with personal background.  Do they really think
that my marriages or family are going to impact my work in ways that
won't show up in my work records?

I don't cave in for this kind of stuff.  I am sure it has cost me a
job offer here or there, but I feel it is important to give feedback
to employers about where the line is drawn by employees.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

(groups trimmed - don't have time to read the rest)

Agree 100% - Although freelance, would never agree to give what I
consider personal information to gain employment, submit to drug tests,
credit checks etc etc, even if it means not getting the job. What the
company is effectively saying is that they don't trust you, so would you
really want to work for them anyway ?.

All this sort of thing is starting to be a big issue in the uk, where
there are cameras at every street corner, kids are being fingerprinted
in schools (they say it's for roll call, school meals entitlement etc,
but the hidden agenda being get them on the database as early as
possible), biometric identity cards with just about every bit of
personal information encoded into it and good only knows what else. The
latest thing is loudspeakers on lamp posts, so that the camera operators
can tell people off for dropping litter !. Pathetically sad, if it
weren't all so dangerous. The worst part is that no-one seems to be
worried by it all.

My parents generation, who fought a war to stop this kind of thin end of
the wedge, must be collectively turning in their graves...

Chris

----------------------
Greenfield Designs Ltd
Electronic and Embedded System Design
Oxford, England
(44) 1865 750 681

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Minor point - all this hoofaraw about my prodding is top-posted.

--
 <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
 <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

You do not understand my situation.

The situation is:

the hiring company wants to know my information and I am willing to
provide after the 2nd round site interview.

but they did not send me the hiring company's application forms.  They
gave me a URL and asked me to give them a note after I complete the
"HireRight.com" forms.

If the information leaks, who will be in charge? Nobody!

the hiring company will say: "I did not give HireRight.com this
information."
and the "HireRight.com" will say: "Dick filled these forms
voluntarily."

This is the trick.

another problem is that they sent me this URL too early.

I do believe the hiring company does not trust the "HireRight.com".
the hiring company is trying to avoid US legal system.

Who knows that the "HireRight.com" server is not in North Korea? You
can not ping it.

It is interesting that "HireRight.com" wants to know other people's
information but it does not allow you to trace the route to its server.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

# whois -h whois.arin.net 216.154.252.83
SBC Internet Services SBCIS-SIS80 (NET-216-154-224-0-1)
                                   216.154.224.0 - 216.154.255.255
Hire Right HIRERIGHT-2 (NET-216-154-252-64-1)
                                   216.154.252.64 - 216.154.252.127

# whois -h whois.networksolutions.com hireright.com
Registrant:
HireRight
    2100 Main Street, Suite 400
    Irvine, CA 92614
    US

    Domain Name: HIRERIGHT.COM

    Administrative Contact:
       Marcom             snipped-for-privacy@HIRERIGHT.COM
       Marcom
       HireRight
       2100 Main St., Suite 400
       Irvine, CA 92614
       US

Re: [OT] Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I understand it completely.

So tell them that.  If they don't want to be reasonable, find a better job.

No, they want more information about you before they decide if you're worth
interviewing.  Personally, I'd ditch them because they obviously aren't that
interested in making a good impression on candidates, so that doesn't bode
well for how they treat their employees.

There's no reason to avoid the US legal system because it offers you
virtually no protection anyways.  Nothing you've stated so far shows they're
doing anything remotely illegal under US law.

That you're still harping on this shows you're not listening to people, so
why did you bother asking in the first place?  Everyone has given you the
same advice and for the same reasons (though they don't match your rather
strange and unfounded ones).

Being able to ping a server tells you nothing other than that it or some
other box in front of it responds to pings.  That's meaningless.

Again, refusing ICMP is pretty standard practice and indicates nothing
meaningful.

Tracing route to www.hireright.com [216.154.252.83] over a maximum of 30
hops:
[snip]
  8    46 ms    41 ms    40 ms  ded1-g0-3-0.irvnca.sbcglobal.net
[151.164.42.41]
  9    40 ms    40 ms    54 ms  bb1-z-g1-0-0.irv.sbcidc.com [66.161.96.9]
 10    43 ms    63 ms    60 ms  core2-z-g1-1.irv.sbcidc.com [216.65.209.14]
 11    45 ms    41 ms    40 ms  acs1-a-g2-1.irv.sbcidc.com [216.65.208.106]
 12     *     ^C

That, plus the information in WHOIS, indicates that, as best as one can
determine without a Lexis/Nexis search, they're in Irvine, CA, US.  There's
no reason at all to think they're anywhere else.

Now, can we please drop this?  It's blatantly off-topic for all three of the
newsgroups you picked.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
[snip]

When I first saw the original article in this thread, I assumed it was
yet another advertisement.  (We get a lot of those; "I just found this
wonderful site foobar.com; what do you think of it?", where the poster
turns out to be the owner of the site.)

Since the original poster has been participating in the discussion,
that would seem not to be the case.  However, the entire discussion is
blatantly off-topic in comp.lang.c, and I presume in comp.lang.c++ and
comp.arch.embedded as well.  There are probably other newsgroups where
this would be topical, and where you could find posters who actually
know something about the question.  I urge anyone who wants to
continue discussing this to find an appropriate newsgroup and take the
discussion there.

Followups redirected.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) snipped-for-privacy@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst

 I would not give out my SS# until hired, but other information is
okay.   It's a big mess if your #SS is stolen.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Hi.. Dick what happen with you.you r the right choice for them so they
have told you to fill the "hireright ".nothing to worry ,please give
him your background information and hire the job.

Site Timeline