Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"? - Page 2

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
rickman wrote, On 17/04/07 00:16:

<snip>

I have NEVER been asked for my NI number before starting work and I am
in the UK. I've also never been asked for a medical history even after
starting work.

 > If it is used like the SS number here,

<snip>

It is, I think.

This is highly off topic on comp.lang.c though, so I won't post further
on it.
--
Flash Gordon

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Then sue the job agency. Age discrimination is illegal in the entire
European Union, which, surprisingly enough, still includes the UK.

And ditto for discrimination on medical grounds.

Richard

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:17:30 GMT, rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard

And try to prove it. Discrimination has been happening for a long time
and will continue.   My previous (US) company colored in the  "a"  on
the application forms completed by a black person.  How this
information was used I'm not sure, but I believe they tried to keep
quotas (keep a certain percentage of blacks in the corporation). Not
sure if this is legal or not, but it appears like discrimination to me
because it matters (in this case) to document the color of your skin.
Why companies look at this crap is beyond me, but personally I'd look
elsewhere to work.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I've worked for firms where you have to explicitly fill out a form
detailing your age, sex and ethnicity because large companies receive
pressure from the UK government to be "diverse" and fill their quotas of
women, ethnic minorities and oldies. Trouble is, in the UK at least, the
majority of engineering applicants are white 25 - 45yo men so these
quotas are pretty hard to meet. I guess somewhere there is a black 59
year old woman who can take her pick of the jobs on offer ;-)

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

And if she has only one leg, she's worth yet another point!

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I've never been required to give any of the above information, other than
what's found on a typical rsum, before they had made a tentative offer.
Typically such an offer is conditional on a successful background check,
reference check, etc. and comes _after_ all interviews are completed.

I would turn the company down on privacy grounds unless you're desperate for
a job, have no other opportunities, and are fairly sure they'll hire you
after they get the info.  Those factors tend to be mutually exclusive,
though...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Before we get a pointless rant from may people

Dick,

1 Which country is this job in?
2 What nationality are you?
3 Are you a permanent resident in the country?
4 What industry is the job in?

In the UK there are several companies that will ask a LOT more than you
have indicated *before* any interview. However it is not the norm.

For most permanent jobs they  will want career history with dates etc
also your education/ qualifications.

Contract work tends to be a little different.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

When you are -considering- someone, you don't need their
Social Security Number or driver's license number. From what I
gather as a non-EU resident, the EU databank privacy laws would block
collection of that level of information until it was actually needed.

Isn't there a rule something along the lines that to collect that
kind of information, that the collecting organization's databank number
must be presented first?
--
  Prototypes are supertypes of their clones.           -- maplesoft

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Not as far as I know. Though it is not usually asked for until later in
the process

No. Or at least not that I have come across.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

It would seem that "HireRight.com" is createing a database of people.
They are asking questions that many may feel required to provide, so the
employer does not have to.

Even their web site (HireRight.com) states what they want:

"On-Demand Employment Screening Solutions"
"Built for Speed, Efficiency and Control"

I am sure the control part is what they are selling.

donald

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Fair enough, this should be on a CV.

I would not normally give this until *after* an interview.

This is of no conceivable relevance to an application.

And this (from a UK point of view) is just prying. NI number is
something they'd get *after hiring*. Visa maybe if a candidate needed a
work permit.

Sounds spooky to me.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Pretty much anything that attempts to establish the age of the
applicant is downright illegal in the US under age discrimination
legislation.

So all that about employment dates and education dates probably can't
be asked. Asking birthdate is a complete no-no.

Brian

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

No, discriminating against people on the basis of age is illegal.  Asking
someone's age (or various other things) can create the presumption of
discrimination, but it's not illegal per se.  It's also required by law to
establish that the person is not a minor, and they must present various
documents (at least one of which will show a birthdate) to complete the I-9
form.  However, if an employer doesn't want to get in trouble with the EEOC,
such things are only asked _after_ they indicate the intent to hire (and
definitely not at all if they don't intend to hire).

Believe me, I've had several day-long classes on what is and isn't okay to
ask/say at various stages in the hiring process...  For instance, you can't
ask someone if they have kids, but you can ask if they can work certain
hours, travel on short notice for extended periods of time, etc. -- stuff
that legitimately affects their ability to do certain jobs.

It's a moot point anyways, since you can almost always guess someone's age
based on the information they provide voluntarily in their résumé.  Not that
I care, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
A big problem is that if X company hire me and they use
"HireRight.com" to check my background, then "HireRight.com" can
records all information they obtain from X company.

And I want to let you know that I cannot ping "HireRight.com".

ping hireright.com
PING hireright.com (216.154.252.83) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- hireright.com ping statistics ---
218 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 217313ms

Shall I call FBI?

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Please do not top-post.  Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
irrelevant material.  See the following links:

--
  <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
  <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

I am making two rules right now...

You can not complain about top posting unless you are actually making
a post relevant to the thread.

Sigs are not allowed to be written in reverse order so as to show how
F*&%ing Stupid top posting is.  That is like F*&%ing for virginity!
(not that you did either of these things)  ;^)

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

But you can complain about complaints anytime?

The subject line of this thread is off topic
for all newsgroups to which it has been cross posted.

I don't like top posting either.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22top+posting+bastard%22

Results 1 - 10 of about 83 for "top posting bastard".

--
pete

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

How else would I complain about the inappropriate post but to follow
with a post??

How do you figure that?  This group is comp.arch.embedded.  People
have argued that even *JOB POSTINGS* should be allowed here!
Certainly it should be ok to discuss the process of getting a job in
the embedded design field...

I don't give a *crap* what you like or dislike.  That is my point.  If
you have something useful to add to the discussion, *and* wish to
comment on a top poster, I don't have an issue with that.  But to
chime in with a "holier than thou", "top posting is bad" comment is
pointless and distracting to reading a thread... yes, even more
distracting than top posting.

I will try to refrain from commenting further on the top posting
comments and return you to your previously scheduled thread.  :^)

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
rickman said:

<snip>

That is evident. And yet consideration for others is the essence of
civilisation. Welcome to my bozo bin. You're in lousy company.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Normally I don't bother with Internet disputes, but I feel I should at
least say that the fact that you *have* a bozo bin makes me feel
honored to be in it!

Site Timeline