Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"? - Page 3

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
However, this is cross-posted to comp.lang.c++, and top-posting is
explicitly disallowed here.
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
here.http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4

Yes, I am sure I over reacted just by saying anything at all.  The
complaining about top posting kinda bugs me.  When I see a message
that polutes the thread by not having any useful content just to
correct someone, it really bugs me.  I guess I need to keep it to
myself, but then again, maybe CB should have replied in just the group
where it is explicitly disallowed.

Sorry if I offended anyone, even the ones I probably intended to
offend when I did the offending.  :^)

Oh, and please don't ever send me an email asking me to not top
post...  You won't like the response.  ;^)

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
here.http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4- Hide quoted
text -

I wish they would add "pedantic netiquette enforcement" to that list.
You can always reply to the author instead of adding one more off-
topic post to a thread.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

So why are you adding one more?

Brian

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Why are *you* adding one more?

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

You did, too.  Infinity.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

But I didn't complain about it. You did. I merely pointed out the
hypocrisy.

Brian

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

because the OT thread has now moved to posting styles and is OT in the
thread. But as one of the worst net nannies in this NG one would expect
this of you.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

here.http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4- Hide quoted
text -

comp.lang.c is the most pedantic place in the world. There are posters
here who post 90% of the time only "off topic" rebukes. I agree with the
helps, otherwise shut up and let evolution work its magic. Personally I
find it very sad to see the usual heads battling it out to see who can
get there first in an "off topic" flame fest. Pathetic to say the least.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

This is not actually true, for at least three reasons. Firstly,
comp.lang.c is not a place, but a newsgroup - it has no single
contiguous physical location. Secondly, places can't be pedantic.
Thirdly, you are more likely to find more pedantry by entering my study
for a chat than you will find by browsing through comp.lang.c - or at
least, you would be if there were any likelihood that you would enter
my study at all, which there isn't.

No, there aren't. Post a name, and I'll demonstrate why that person does
not meet your criteria. If you don't post a name that you think meets
your criteria, I'll presume it's because you can't find one, because
there isn't one.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Case closed.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Verdict: the claim (that "comp.lang.c is the most pedantic place in the
world") is untrue, and is rejected. Costs to the defence. You owe me
ten million pounds sterling.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Well done, sir!

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
[...]

("Here" refers to comp.lang.c.)

There may be one, but he's a notorious self-proclaimed troll whose
name I won't mention.  (I haven't analyzed the number of his posts
that purport to be "off topic" rebukes, but I think it's a large
percentage.)

I don't believe anyone else here posts as many as 50% off-topic
rebukes.  I post a lot of such rebukes myself (and in many cases
they're not so much rebukes as reminders, along with a suggestion for
a more appropriate forum), but I also post a great many technical
followups.  Perhaps your 90% figure was a deliberate exaggeration; if
not, it's just wrong.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) snipped-for-privacy@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst

<snip>

Just to be clear, the 90% figure was not mine. I don't know who
"Richard" is, but he isn't me.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I'm richard too!  Or was that once? Err ...

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Understood.  Since I was addressing points both of you had made, it
was simpler to piggyback onto your followup.  Sorry if I implied
otherwise.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) snipped-for-privacy@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

One has to love the pedants in this ng. They are even pedants when
denying the existence of such....

But in all seriousness, maybe 90% was a tad too high :-; But there are
some I can think of where probably well over 50% of their posts are non
helpful rebukes or grasping at a chance to strut at the expense of
someone else.

But come on guys - it really doesn't need 10 people to post rebukes when
some poor nOOb asks something wrong or in the wrong manner.

But all this has been said before. Time & time again.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
[...]

You know perfectly well that Usenet is an asynchronous medium.  It's
very common for several people to post followups before any of the
other followups have appeared.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) snipped-for-privacy@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

But amusing - in a sick, sad, world kind of way.

Site Timeline