Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Normally I don't bother with Internet disputes, but I feel I should at least say that the fact that you *have* a bozo bin makes me feel honored to be in it!

Reply to
rickman

You did, too. Infinity.

Reply to
dave_mikesell

It's only illegal for public agencies to require it, and even then there are dozens of exceptions. You have to give an SSN here to get a DL, period, and your name has to match. The law specifically allows that since the SSN is only used to prevent fraudulently obtaining multiple licenses.

Most private companies can use your SSN for whatever they want, and most use it as a customer identifier, which is why identity theft is so darn easy. I assume the NIN in the UK is headed in the same direction, though more slowly due to marginally better privacy laws. Just about the only exception in the US is healthcare providers; HIPAA specifically prohibits them from using the SSN for anything other than detecting fraud, and they can't print it anywhere; this was after folks realized that having everyone's SSN in their wallet (on their health insurance card) was a major contributor to identity theft. Too many people are perfectly happy giving out the number when asked by any stranger, though, so it hasn't helped much.

What right to dispute or explanation? "We have filled the position with another candidate since the time of your application." An employer can get away with just about anything if they are smart enough not to tell you the whole truth. All you can do to get them back is go work for their competitors...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov
Reply to
Stephen Sprunk

You do not understand my situation.

The situation is:

the hiring company wants to know my information and I am willing to provide after the 2nd round site interview.

but they did not send me the hiring company's application forms. They gave me a URL and asked me to give them a note after I complete the "HireRight.com" forms.

If the information leaks, who will be in charge? Nobody!

the hiring company will say: "I did not give HireRight.com this information." and the "HireRight.com" will say: "Dick filled these forms voluntarily."

This is the trick.

another problem is that they sent me this URL too early.

I do believe the hiring company does not trust the "HireRight.com". the hiring company is trying to avoid US legal system.

Who knows that the "HireRight.com" server is not in North Korea? You can not ping it.

It is interesting that "HireRight.com" wants to know other people's information but it does not allow you to trace the route to its server.

Reply to
dick

# whois -h whois.arin.net 216.154.252.83 SBC Internet Services SBCIS-SIS80 (NET-216-154-224-0-1) 216.154.224.0 - 216.154.255.255 Hire Right HIRERIGHT-2 (NET-216-154-252-64-1) 216.154.252.64 - 216.154.252.127

# whois -h whois.networksolutions.com hireright.com Registrant: HireRight 2100 Main Street, Suite 400 Irvine, CA 92614 US

Domain Name: HIRERIGHT.COM

Administrative Contact: Marcom snipped-for-privacy@HIRERIGHT.COM Marcom HireRight 2100 Main St., Suite 400 Irvine, CA 92614 US

Reply to
msg

I understand it completely.

So tell them that. If they don't want to be reasonable, find a better job.

No, they want more information about you before they decide if you're worth interviewing. Personally, I'd ditch them because they obviously aren't that interested in making a good impression on candidates, so that doesn't bode well for how they treat their employees.

There's no reason to avoid the US legal system because it offers you virtually no protection anyways. Nothing you've stated so far shows they're doing anything remotely illegal under US law.

That you're still harping on this shows you're not listening to people, so why did you bother asking in the first place? Everyone has given you the same advice and for the same reasons (though they don't match your rather strange and unfounded ones).

Being able to ping a server tells you nothing other than that it or some other box in front of it responds to pings. That's meaningless.

Again, refusing ICMP is pretty standard practice and indicates nothing meaningful.

Tracing route to

[216.154.252.83] over a maximum of 30 hops: [snip] 8 46 ms 41 ms 40 ms ded1-g0-3-0.irvnca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.42.41] 9 40 ms 40 ms 54 ms bb1-z-g1-0-0.irv.sbcidc.com [66.161.96.9] 10 43 ms 63 ms 60 ms core2-z-g1-1.irv.sbcidc.com [216.65.209.14] 11 45 ms 41 ms 40 ms acs1-a-g2-1.irv.sbcidc.com [216.65.208.106] 12 * ^C

That, plus the information in WHOIS, indicates that, as best as one can determine without a Lexis/Nexis search, they're in Irvine, CA, US. There's no reason at all to think they're anywhere else.

Now, can we please drop this? It's blatantly off-topic for all three of the newsgroups you picked.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov
Reply to
Stephen Sprunk

But I didn't complain about it. You did. I merely pointed out the hypocrisy.

Brian

Reply to
Default User

At least for jobs involving national security, why would an employer ask the candidate information that could be forged anyway ?

For such jobs discrete background inquiries are performed by the "secret" police to check for contacts with foreign intelligence organisations (such as CIA or KGB) or if the candidate conducts a life style prone to blackmailing (such as large debts, gambling fever, use of illegal drugs, illegal sexual activities etc.).

I don't thing that the questions answered by the candidate would be of any value in these issues.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Then sue the job agency. Age discrimination is illegal in the entire European Union, which, surprisingly enough, still includes the UK.

And ditto for discrimination on medical grounds.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Bos

I would not give out my SS# until hired, but other information is okay. It's a big mess if your #SS is stolen.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

I've worked for firms where you have to explicitly fill out a form detailing your age, sex and ethnicity because large companies receive pressure from the UK government to be "diverse" and fill their quotas of women, ethnic minorities and oldies. Trouble is, in the UK at least, the majority of engineering applicants are white 25 - 45yo men so these quotas are pretty hard to meet. I guess somewhere there is a black 59 year old woman who can take her pick of the jobs on offer ;-)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

And try to prove it. Discrimination has been happening for a long time and will continue. My previous (US) company colored in the "a" on the application forms completed by a black person. How this information was used I'm not sure, but I believe they tried to keep quotas (keep a certain percentage of blacks in the corporation). Not sure if this is legal or not, but it appears like discrimination to me because it matters (in this case) to document the color of your skin. Why companies look at this crap is beyond me, but personally I'd look elsewhere to work.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

And if she has only one leg, she's worth yet another point!

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I have NEVER been asked for my NI number before starting work and I am in the UK. I've also never been asked for a medical history even after starting work.

It is, I think.

This is highly off topic on comp.lang.c though, so I won't post further on it.

--
Flash Gordon
Reply to

Paul Keinanen wrote, On 17/04/07 10:58:

In the UK they do ask a number of questions about your background that they could find the answers to through other means. At least in part it is to see if you tell them the truth about it. However, the employer does not get to see the answers, only the vetting agency does.

--
Flash Gordon
Reply to

here.http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4- Hide quoted text -

comp.lang.c is the most pedantic place in the world. There are posters here who post 90% of the time only "off topic" rebukes. I agree with the previous poster - if you have something to add then a gentle reminder helps, otherwise shut up and let evolution work its magic. Personally I find it very sad to see the usual heads battling it out to see who can get there first in an "off topic" flame fest. Pathetic to say the least.

Reply to
Richard

because the OT thread has now moved to posting styles and is OT in the thread. But as one of the worst net nannies in this NG one would expect this of you.

Reply to
Richard

This is not actually true, for at least three reasons. Firstly, comp.lang.c is not a place, but a newsgroup - it has no single contiguous physical location. Secondly, places can't be pedantic. Thirdly, you are more likely to find more pedantry by entering my study for a chat than you will find by browsing through comp.lang.c - or at least, you would be if there were any likelihood that you would enter my study at all, which there isn't.

No, there aren't. Post a name, and I'll demonstrate why that person does not meet your criteria. If you don't post a name that you think meets your criteria, I'll presume it's because you can't find one, because there isn't one.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Case closed.

Reply to
Richard

Verdict: the claim (that "comp.lang.c is the most pedantic place in the world") is untrue, and is rejected. Costs to the defence. You owe me ten million pounds sterling.