Is there a good wiki software? (not an online version)

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:YnIBiKeqQigJ:

*-see-and-read+give-*-other-people-*-*-*-*-roles+allows-*-users-*-*-*-*-*-to-cooperate-*-producing-documents+zz+zz+preventing-some-users-from-*-seeing-some-parts+*-groupware-application+cannot-modify-the-document-*+can-modify

Yes, and I've tried it (Amaya). Unfortunately it seems to distort images to some extent. One of them has become unintelligible in my case. Found a few comments related to that on the web but no fix :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think you need a web server to run a wiki. Install Apache. It's pretty easy to get running. They have Windoze versions.

For organizing projects, I've been using FreeMind which is a mind mapping program. Basically a free form flow charter. It's free!

qrk

Looks good but it requires Java, just like lots of Wiki packages require a web server. I am looking for something small and most of all stand-alone, that doesn't require the installation of more stuff ;-)

TiddlyWiki as suggested by others seems to have one drawback, according to the info on its web site. SaveChanges works in Firefox, IE and a couple others but supposedly not Mozilla. It won't do me any good if, ahem, I can't save...

So far from all that I have tried NVU works best. Not perfect but it works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

html kit is quite good

eversoft 1st page 2000 or whatever the latest version is.

??

list of free editors

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Quanta+, if you're using linux.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Thanks. The last link also lists NVU. So far that's the best I have tried. Might be a keeper. The only real but small downside is that jumping to a hyperlinked page requires going into a sub-menu and then it opens a new tab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

No Linux here (yet) :-(

A lot of the SW I am using does not come in a Linux version. Surprisingly the CAD I am using (Eagle) does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Same here, though almost everything I do is good enough now under linux. My new laptop has a 20G XP partition (rarely used by now) and an 80G linux partition. Eagle, qcad, quamta+, OpenOffice, octave, lyx, ...

One nice thing is that suse 10.2 came right up -- Intel wrote the linux drivers for the Intel Core Duo chipset in my dv6000CTO; the only thing that doesn't work yet is the Ricoh camera in the screen frame (so what, says I...).

By the way, in the interest of fairness, some may remember my rant about hp last September. I had bought a dv5245us, and the hard drive promptly crashed. They promised an immediate replacement, and when they missed that, gave me a new date, and missed that, and so on for 6 weeks. I vented here, and two weeks later they still couldn't give me a date (at least they were being honest by now), so they sent me the dv6000 -- a much nicer laptop, that has done well since November, when I finally got it to replace the computer I had bought in July.

So now, even though I don't use it myself, I can see half a dozen neighbors' wifi systems, only two of which are secured :-). I connected to a couple just to see, but since I have cable broadband myself, ...

So , it was a pretty happy ending.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

On Friday, in article snipped-for-privacy@no.spam "John Perry" wrote: ..... .....

Par for the course in any country people moan about people who corrupt their computers, but would not complain as much about burglars if they left their house doors wide open.

I can regularly find wifi routers and get internet connection, usually still with manufacturers default name, and password so I could connect and administer their wifi router if I so desired. One neighbour took several moans from me for them to secure it.

Then again if you install a wifi router also choosing a different channel seems beyond most people as well.

Amazing how many people want wifi and then are surprised the wifi might spread beyond their house and garden, as if the wireless can detect your property boundaries. Conversely how many are surprised about radio paths through thick or reinforced walls and metal beams.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Hmmm, the problem is part wiki and part network. A fairly standard wiki on a hand me down linux / Apache box and some port blocking wrt the internet ought to give what you want.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Not here. Our is, of course, secured. But from the lab into the living quarters it's maybe 50ft or so. The laptop regularly pops up a warning "wireless signal strength marginal". I get one bar :-(

Out on the north deck it's zero bars.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Is that the Pringles can trick? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe you should upgrade to 'N' (802.11n) ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Somewhere back in this thread I think you said you used windows. If that is the case, try aolpress. I tried Amaya and did not like it. Word etc did wierd html. aolpress is not a great browser, but it is good enough, it is free and fairly mature software. I don't know why you cannot run a real browser and a html editor, at the same time? The nice thing about aolpress is it has a very simple user interface, lets you get into the pure html and doesn't use the MS html extensions.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Calfee

"Steve Calfee" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sonnet.com... | Somewhere back in this thread I think you said you used windows. If | that is the case, try aolpress. I tried Amaya and did not like it. | Word etc did wierd html. aolpress is not a great browser, but it is | good enough, it is free and fairly mature software. I don't know why | you cannot run a real browser and a html editor, at the same time? The | nice thing about aolpress is it has a very simple user interface, lets | you get into the pure html and doesn't use the MS html extensions.

Here is a overview. Look at WYSIWYG editors:

Webserver for Windows:

- simplext but without CGI etc:

(German, needs no install) Free

- minimal all you need including CGI, error page handling, PHP, etc.:

Abyss Webserver, single host version is free

- Standard is Apache. Problem with standards: Be careful not to open Apache/modules for malware/virus!

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

Hi Joerg,

Maybe have a look at

Apparently it is an update. NVU is still from 2005.

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

That would be too clumsy for my taste. I mean, you don't open a labbook and when you find you need to correct an entry have to open another, because the first one is read-only and the 2nd one is write-only. It just does not make any sense to me. When browsing documents I want to be able to make entries right then and there. Unfortunately most web editing software can't do that, except NVU and some others.

Also, Windows has this nice "feature" that sometimes when you have a doc open in one window but want to save in another window it refuses with a "sharing violation".

It's a pity that AOL no longer seems to offer it. And I am rather cautious downloading stuff from sites that I don't know and that aren't official sites of a large corporation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Wow, I bet you're not a fan of TeX/LaTeX either, eh? :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Absolutamente not :-)