Intel's embedded Pentium kaput

How do you feel about Intel's discontinuing their Pentium chips for the embedded market?

Am I alone in having expected these chips to be produced and sold at least a couple of years more?

-- Ignacio G.T.

Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

snipped-for-privacy@evomer.yahoo.es (Ignacio G.T.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@News.Individual.Net:

No loss. RISC are much easier to use. I'd never use an x86 arch. for embedded.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

embedded

I wasn't aware they even marketed Pentium for "embedded" applications, I thought the "embedded x86" idea was strictly created by system integrators. Shows you how much they market it.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Where did you hear that Intel is discontinuing these embedded Pentiums?

Jim

embedded

james.boyle

Let's hope so, it's about time to buy them.

least

Reply to
Captain Bly

"The Embedded Intel Architecture division is announcing the discontinuance of the Intel® embedded Pentium processor modules. Both the 133 MHz and 166 MHz modules have been discontinued and will be unavailable for additional orders after the Last Product Discontinuance Order Date. More information is available in the embedded Pentium processor module homepage and within PCN 973, available from the PCN Index."

Also:

-- Ignacio G.T.

Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

The above are 'trailing edge' processors, and from what I read it is the modules that are being discontinued. I doubt anyone would put 133/166Mhz x86 processors on a new product design.

For more modern embedded processors, this gives intel's embedded lineup, which is not just x86 cores. ( AMD is also chasing more embedded business )

On the last one, you can see what Intel calls Embedded lifetime, which is 5 years from _introduction_. ( NB this is not 5 years from 'when you design it in' )

This 5 years is longer than the typical consumer lifetime cycles, but may still be too short for some embedded solutions - but that is the designers call.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville