Intel 386EX embedded processor

Hi, I am working on a small design using Intel 386EXTC processor. The design has a 512KB Flash and a 512KB SRAM. The processor user manual says "The chip-selects generated by this unit can simplify external "glue logic" by providing signals that can be connected directly to the chip-enable inputs of external memory and I/O devices."

My question is if I am using 8bit memories, is it possible that I can take UCS and connect it directly to Flash that has startup information and CS0 to SRAM? Is there a necessity of glue logic? If yeah, how can I do that using A15:A25 address lines and get the CE for SRAM and FLASH?

Also, do I need a 50MHz external oscillator that will be the input at pin clk2 for 25MHz operation of processor?

Thanks

learner

Reply to
learner

Yes. After reset, UCS decodes the whole address range as 8 or 16 bit, with

15 wait states. If your flash is 8 bit, you tie BS8# low. In your startup code, you reprogram the chip selects so that UCS only covers the desired flash range, and CS0 covers the desired SRAM range, and with the desired number of wait states.

No.

Yes.

Karl Olsen

Reply to