Another embedded Ethernet question...

I have a small project involving transferring a bi-directional 64k synchronous data stream over an IP network to the same device on the other end. It is a fairly simple application except for some timing issues. It will have a telnet server operator interface for configuring the unit.

The unit will be made in small quantities - like 100 or a year - so I have to keep the initial costs for the development tools down as much as possible. Of course, there is a short development cycle constraint as well.

Right now we're looking at the PIC18 with the Microchip IP stack, the 80C400 with the built-in stack, and someone is trying to convince me to go the MSP430 route. I just saw the DSTni chip from Lantronix (now sold by Grid Connect). It looks interesting. I've used the Infineon C165 for years.

Our local distributor is steering me away from the Dallas/Maxim part because he claims it's difficult to buy them without a long lead time.

I'm open to any suggestions or opinions about the ones I'm looking at or any similar alternative.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

As far as I am aware, the DSTini from Lantronix and the Dallas Chip DS80C400) are two entirely different chips....unless I misunderstand your posting.

Anyway use google groups to search for the following threads : "ethernet connectivity" posted by "goose" on 2003-07-17 and "my experiences with IIM7010 %-)" on 14 Feb 2003 by Jan-Hinnerk

these posting mention the Wiznet chip, which is another alternative for you to consider - I know we got samples fairly quickly ...

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

Simon Berry said for all posterity...

Oh, yeah they are different devices. I probably didn't make it very clear. The ones I mentioned were all separate candidates:

DS80C400 (TCP/IP stack in firmware) DSTni (each chip licensed for free TCP/IP stack and telnet) PIC18 (free TCP/IP stack) MSP430 (still looking at available software)

The PIC looks good, but the 4K RAM limit definitely puts an upper limit on feature creep...

Thanks. I'm looking at it now.

I hate quickly-prepared proposals but I have no choice but to guess and estimate quickly. Estimate now or customer goes away.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Casey,

Rabbit Semiconductor

has both 8-bit microcontrollers (Z180-compatible) and Ethernet-ready modules based on them. The latter should be a quite good offering when volumes are low; you get a working solution out the door in a very short time.

Rabbit offer a *complete* solution consisting of:

- evaluation kits (motherboard + various modules); price range $150-$300

- "Dynamic C" complete IDE w. integrated C-compiler/assembler/linker/debugger (comes 'for free' w. the evalkits)

- royalty-free TCP/IP stack (w. complete sourcecode!)

- complete suite of libraries: std.C, math, device/peripheral drivers, filesystem, TCP/IP&'all the rest' of low&middle-layer protocol access

- BIOS/ROM-debugmonitor & small realtime kernel

- Flash upload utility (source code for host(PC) side can be obtained)

- royalty-free ports of "uCOS-II" RTOS

- various servers: Telnet, HTTP w.CGI, FTP/TFTP, cmd.shell(console login utility)

- extensive documentation; TCP/IP architecture&usage, libraries, modules&evalkits, Dynamic C IDE&tools

A user-contributed collection of libraries exists too

- SMBclient, XML, lowlevel etc.)

You can use the console login facility (ZConsole/ZLib) to do things like 'reboot', TCP/IP setup, filesystem manipulation (Modem up/download) and webserver start/stop/configuration +++ via a serial port or via Ethernet or dialup(PPP).

At present, there are two microcontroller variants available:

  1. R2000 - medium performance(
Reply to
Morten Larsen