How to store data?

Hi Group!

I am new to embedded systems. I have an application to develop. In that i need to maintain a data storage, uneffected by power loss. So it means i need to use an external storage device with my Microcontroller? I am using Atmel-89C52. I have a few queries:

1)What should be my choice for data storage device...i think EEPROM? 2)If yes, then the Atmel AT24CXX or Xicor X4283 etc could be possible choices? These are serial EEPROMs with 2/3 wire interfaces. 4)If these are not good choices, can anyone suggest some other devices that can be integrated with 89C52 and can hold upto 64K bits data?

4)I also need to keep the time record in my application. So i need a Real time clock IC? what would be my best choice in terms of best integration with 89C52 via minimum interface wires?

Thanks Rider

Reply to
rider

Hi I suggest using i2c interface. Two wires and a great choice of ICs from several vendors: EEPROM, RTC, I/O. You can add chips later if needed - just with the two wires. Regards - Henry

rider schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson snipped-for-privacy@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB

"Henry" skrev i meddelandet news:3f80073d snipped-for-privacy@news.arcor-ip.de...

just

You probably want to switch to the AT89S52 which is in system programmable.

Another alternative to the AT24 are the AT45DB010B Dataflash.

If you don't mind switching to the AVR, the ATmega16 or maybe the ATmega32 will provide selfprogramming allowing you to store 8kB + in flash. There is a limit to how many times you can reprogram (10,000 times). There is also some amount of EEPROM in the devices. They also have 32 kHz oscillators for maintaining time.

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

non-volatile memory device DS1235) come to mind. come to think of it a DS2252t would suit you just fine. DS2252T=8251+64k program+64k non-volatile ram+non-volatile rtc rw

Reply to
Rein Wiehler

Hi, Have a look at RAMTRON

products. These chips have the same characteristics and pinout as standard EEPROM (I2Cor SPI), but have a very long life. Yvan

Reply to
Yvan BOURNE