HDD spin down and read cache

Can a hard disk read ahead it full buffer, then told to spin down, and still read the cache/buffer?

Can it then be spun up say when your 75% through it and filled again with missing a beat?

I wold like to use the 8M buffer in the drive and not add a buffer to the project, I am streaming MP3's....

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Sloan

This behavior is not characterized. From experience, drives will always spin up if you issue a Read Sectors command (on the assumption that this read command signals the start of further system activity). Certain specific drives may have other behavior.

Reply to
larwe