Re: Half a Century of Crappy Computing

>Guy Mac> >|> A quick look at your website shows several glaring errors: >|> >|> "Due to its sheer astronomical complexity, the human brain >|> is the most reliable behaving system in the world. Its >|> reliability is many orders of magnitude greater than that >|> of any complex program in existence" >|> >|> Nonsense. ... > >One does have to agree that its self-correcting mechanisms are >many orders of magnitude better than any computer program or >computing system!

I disagree. The Internet appears to have better self-correcting mechanisms than the human brain does. It certainly has been faced with far more and far more sophisticated attempts to intentionally disrupt its operation.

The human barin, on the other hand, crashes for roughly 8 hours out of every 24, and is unable to perform even rudementary operations during that period.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I assume that you are jesting; surely you acknowledge that decades of neurological research support the view that the sleep cycle is perhaps more dynamic than the wake state and that during this time the brain engages in correlative and purgative processes and the strengthening of long-term memory and learning.

On the original topic: I have often wondered why the AI community has adopted neuron models with little resemblance to actual biological neurons; if the models included the full range of hormonal, chemical (neurotransmitter) and epigenetic mechanisms, perhaps a veridical emulation of neural systems could be attempted.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

In article , Guy Macon writes: |> |> >|> "Due to its sheer astronomical complexity, the human brain |> >|> is the most reliable behaving system in the world. Its |> >|> reliability is many orders of magnitude greater than that |> >|> of any complex program in existence" |> >|> |> >|> Nonsense. ... |> >

|> >One does have to agree that its self-correcting mechanisms are |> >many orders of magnitude better than any computer program or |> >computing system! |> |> I disagree. The Internet appears to have better self-correcting |> mechanisms than the human brain does. It certainly has been faced |> with far more and far more sophisticated attempts to intentionally |> disrupt its operation.

I disagree :-) The attempts to disrupt the Internet are simplistic to an extreme degree, compared to the challenges the brain faces. Note that I am not just talking about external ones, but including the fact that neurones are intrinsically very unreliable units, with a considerable rate of attrition.

Note that young humans can often recover from the destruction of ALL of the components handling a particular skill, by relearning from scratch. If every DNS server on the Internet died unrecoverably tomorrow, I doubt that it would recover as well.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

for a little topic drift ... some references to recent thread in a.f.c

Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure
Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure
Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure
Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure
Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure

and these posts in another thread that recently strayed into subject of threats, vulnerabilities, exploits, etc on the internet:

Translation of IBM Basic Assembler to C?
Translation of IBM Basic Assembler to C?

including some application of 40+ yr old technology, curtesy of the science center

as part of the solution.

for even greater topic drift ... cp67 & cms started at the science cnter in the mid-60s ... some amount of it fairly obviously adopted from ctss, like the initial version of the cms document formater application. Later, in 69, three people at the science center invented GML (i.e. three letters chosen as first letter of their last time). This eventually morphed into sgml and become the basis for current genre of html, xml, etc ... i.e. reference to a cms script clone from waterloo in extensive use at cern and the evolution of sgml into html

and to somewhat wander back to part of the topic ... reference to the person responsible for DNS doing stint at science center in the early

70s
Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Show me the money, dumbshit.

ahahaha... Just bend over. Macon will show you some solutions. ahahaha... AHAHAHA... ahahaha...

Louis Savain

Why Software Is Bad and What We Can Do to Fix It:

Traveler
[cut]

Well, first of all, that's not the original topic. I know since I am the one who started the thread.

Second, it's nonsense that we need to emulate the full hormonal and chemical mechanisms of the brain. All that is needed is to look at the input and outputs of neurons and emulate only that. If our goal is to build a true AI, we neither need nor want to emulate the internal biochemical mechanisms of neurons (which is pure folly), only what the neurons do. Stimuli and responses, that is all.

Third, why use a word like 'veridical'? Is it in order to appear educated or knowledgeable? Whatever happened to the simple and familiar 'true'?

Louis Savain

Why Software Is Bad and What We Can Do to Fix It:

Traveler

Here's one question that a veture capitalist might ask you before they hand over the money:

How does a TCP stack written in your COSA language guard against a SYN attack?

Reply to
Tom

... snip ...

Disagree here. How many times have you gone to bed worrying about some insoluble problem, and woken up with the essentials of the solution?

CBFalconer

I think the answer would be "because TCP/IP is incorrectly specified it can't/won't be implemented in COSA, there'll be an infintely better network protocol which obviously will be incompatible with TCP/IP"

Reply to
mk

So how long will it take him to find a venture capitalist who will give him two million dollars to develop a system that's not even internet capable?

Reply to
Tom

Would Internet self-correct itself if it lacks any help of human brains? Internet as whole is chaotic system, there is no common goal and no common director, without persistent monitoring it would break apart very soon. So my point is that Internet is in some aspects good model of human brain but it lack the stability of later. One should also see how many internets we have compared with amount of brains. And do not forget that brain lives for

50-100 years, Internet - for 10-20.

You see, every time when I just pull out the power cable, my computer (or whole data center) crashes and not able to perform even rudimentary operations until power is restored. You as no one else should understand that there are limits and special environmental requirements for any complex system.

C.

Reply to
Coyher
+--------------- | Guy Macon wrote: | > The human barin, on the other hand, crashes for roughly 8 hours | > out of every 24, and is unable to perform even rudementary | > operations during that period. | | I assume that you are jesting; surely you acknowledge that | decades of neurological research support the view that the sleep | cycle is perhaps more dynamic than the wake state and that | during this time the brain engages in correlative and | purgative processes and the strengthening of long-term | memory and learning. +---------------

Aha! Sleep is garbage collection!! I *knew* there was a reason I liked Lisp... ;-} ;-}

-Rob

----- Rob Warnock

627 26th Avenue San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607
Reply to
Rob Warnock

I've had this character filtered for a long time. I see he hasn't gotten any smarter.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Dumbshit. ahahaha...

Louis Savain

Why Software Is Bad and What We Can Do to Fix It:

Traveler

Nonetheless, there is a loss of many important functions such as locomotion, speech, vision, etc. From the standpoint of someone outside a computer, it doesn't matter whether it doesn't respond because of a simple bug or because of a complex garbage-collection.

I keep hearing stories about scientists doing just that and simulating an ant brain, cockroach brain, octopus retina, etc. in such a way that it behaves just like the real thing when exposed to the same input stimuli. I haven't tracked the stories down though, and a one-minute websearch doesn't turn up anything interesting, so they may be urban myths.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Two very excellent points.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

In my experience, stopping the blood from circulating in a human causes the same sort of total system failure as stopping the electrons from circulating in a computer. Rebooting is much more difficault, which is why I suggest only trying the experiment on spammers.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

ahahaha... There is nothing funnier and more pathetic than a plonker. ahahahah... If you're gonna plonk, just do it, goddamnit! No need to advertise it. Besides, public plonkers never actually plonk. You're reading this and you know it. You're so vain, Macon. ahahaha... I bet you think this post is about you. ahahaha... AHAHAHAHA... ahahaha...

Louis Savain

Why Software Is Bad and What We Can Do to Fix It:

Traveler

We need to make sure you don't kill yourself.

Reply to
Chris Thomasson

ahahaha... You can't resist the urge to kiss ass, can you, Thomasson? Once an ass kisser, always an ass kisser. ahahaha... AHAHAHA... ahahaha...