ethernet connectivity

Hello all

I am looking for a cheap way to connect a PIC to an ethernet network.
I've thus far considered:

1. The rabbit-semiconductor offerings, and connect to PIC via serial.
   ($199 for a dev kit, $42 per module).

2. ethernut, the built-up kit is $162.

3. building an ISA bus master (have not done anything like this before,
   so I dont know how much effort will go into this, or if it will be
   worth it), and purchasing ISA ne2k cards.

Has anyone used a PIC to control ISA cards ? is it difficult ?
where can I get more info ?

thx in advance,

   goose,
      or maybe i'll just retire next year :-)

Re: ethernet connectivity

check out the wiznet "hardwired TCP/IP solutions

http://www.iinchip.com/image/iinchip_product_Flyer.pdf

I have not used them yet, but are hoping to get some samples one of these
days

Regards
Simon

Re: ethernet connectivity

I have used the IIM7010 (non-A version). It has the same chip, but another
PHY, AFAIK. I quite like this module, despite all the problems I had ;-)

I had posted a short report of my experiences in this news group on February
14th, 2003 02:35 MET. The subject was "my experiences with IIM7010 %-)"

Use http://groups.google.com

I will only repeat the most important thing here: Although the W3100A has
5V-tolerant I/O, the module has one pin that is NOT 5V-tolerant (don't know
about the "A"-version.

And before you ask: Unfortunatly I have not yet managed to set up a website.

 Jan-Hinnerk

Re: ethernet connectivity

thanks for the response, I am looking at this right now
(I phoned the South African distributor, and they aid they
are busy but will have someone contact me).

It actually looks suitable for a lot of applications that
I had in mind.

thx
goose,

Re: ethernet connectivity
snipped-for-privacy@webmail.co.za says...

It is very easy to control ISA cards (when not using DMA) - is is just an
address bus, a data bus and read and weite strobes for I/O and Memory
accesses.

Some examples on interfacing a PIC to an ISA NE2000 NIC found on google
(pic ne2000 isa):

http://www.davidwitt.ca /
http://jmandon.free.fr/ (in French)
http://www.micro-io.subnet.dk /

Søren A.Møller

Re: ethernet connectivity
I got Xport from Lantronix now. It is $78 Australian about which is not more
than $50 US.

It is the best and chipest I have seen so far.

Have you used C compiler for PICs? Is there a good and cheap one too?

Re: ethernet connectivity

I've had a look at the website, and it looks pretty good.
(although $50 is still a bit much)

   thanks

no, the PIC i'm using right now (18f452) doesn't have a compiler
targetting it yet.

there is a free compiler (google for "picc" or "pic lite" ... dont
really remember too well) for the PIC16

<snipped>

thx
goose,

Re: ethernet connectivity

If you're looking for cheap, this is your best route.  There are many
examples of PIC and AVR integration with NE2000 NICs, including
Bentham's book, which includes working source code and a narrative:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)/

ISA sockets can be had for about $1USD at Digikey, and the NE2000 NICs
are readily available for $10 or less - roughly the same cost as the
bare Realtek controller chip.  It takes 15 pins on your controller - 8
data, 5 address, and 4 for IOW, IOR, Reset, and ChRdy.  Data and Address
can be shared with other things if you get creative.

Once you get the software working, you can make it sleeker by
integrating into your own board for only a little more cost for the
separate jack and passives (~$4 total).

I found this book and a logic analyzer to be handy in the process of
wiring up an AVR to NE2000...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)/

Site Timeline