embedded video?

I need to generate simple NTSC composite video text as a last minute feature on an 8051 based embedded project. I have found some software examples but they really chew up CPU time. Does anyone know of a one chip solution for generating black and white video? I'm picturing something like a "video UART" which you could spit ascii characters at and let it generate the composite video, sync etc. I'm probably dreaming.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

On a sunny day (Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:05:24 GMT) it happened Bob Stephens wrote in :

Google SAA5246A_CNV_3.pdf i2c bus interface, will genlock and add your text 25 lines of 40 chars, color. can run standalone (PLL mode off), 5V, 27 MHz xtal.. If you need drivers see

for some GPL C code. JP

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You could try the BOB-II, which is a small board (30-pin SIMM) which can be controlled via serial commands from your uC.

I used one once for video overlay, very easy. I think its capable of 80x40 ascii or something like that, and cost about $80 as i recall.

It was very quick and easy to start using, just power, serial line and video out if you dont want to overlay.

Alex.

Reply to
Quack

I saw their website. Actually the BOB II is "not recommended for new designs" it has been supplanted by the BOB III. Unfortunately I need a surface mount solution.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens