Embedded systems that can run Doom

I'd like to build a small (and not too expensive) embedded system capable of running Doom. I've heard of people being able to run Doom on an Atmel AT32AP7000. However the components needed to build such a system still seem a bit large to me. And the processor alone is at over 18? at digikey, memory would add to the cost. Any ideas?

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

Is the goal here building it, or using it? Because if the goal is to use it, then for maybe $35 you could buy a laptop that would run it perfectly well.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I've run it on a STK1000 with the AVR32 AP7000 (I didn't have a keyboard attached, so I didn't get past the startup demo sequence). But the STK1000 is perhaps out of your budget? It's also got far too little memory - a mere 8 MB ram, which is not a lot when you need a frame buffer display as well. I had to use a nbdevice swap file to get anything much running on the card (although it's kind of cool that you can actually do that sort of thing on the device).

Reply to
David Brown

Well, I think I'll get a NGW 100 (they're much cheaper than the STK1000 and have 32 MB RAM) for prototyping and then see if I can build something based on the AP7002, which is a bit cheaper than the AP7000 in the end.

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

The goal is using, however the laptop would be too big. Ideally it should fit into 5 cm x 6 cm x 1 cm or not much more.

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

I should think a PDA would fit the bill then. The original Doom ran happily on unaccelerated framebuffer hardware with an i486DX2/50.

If you're really really into hacking, there are a bunch of dirt cheap Chinese MP3/video/NES-emulator type devices with an ARM7 core (in a Sunplus ASSP) that can be coerced into doing what you want (google "pmp .bin development") to learn how to build native executables for them). For example I have several of these lying around: . Battery lasts about 90 minutes of active screen time.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

( about 1 minute into the video. )

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
don
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

If it's not stuck inside some other device, and/or if it's primary reason to exist is not to control that other device, then it's not embedded. It may not be a PC or a MAC, but that doesn't make it embedded.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott