Looking for an embedded processor

We currently use a MCF5272. We are discussing moving to a faster processor. I did a quick search among the various processors available and I have a few observations.

- Average ARM (Atmel) Processors seem to run at 40-50MHz. The high end 200-400Mhz were very expensive compared to 5275 ($10).

- Power QUICC (400MHz) seems to be power hungry. 6W consumption. 5275 seems to consume 1mA per MHz = 200mA @ 200MHz * 2.0V (approx) = 0.4W. There must be some problem with my calculation here since this difference is too large. I could not find any numbers in the Coldfire literature.

There does not seem to be a low power (

Reply to
News

On 24 May 2006 18:15:15 -0700, "News" wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

Above you are referring to typical ARM 7 parts.

Arm 9 runs to just about 200Mhz. Look at Atmel's and Freescale's ARM

9 parts. Above 200Mhz, you are talking about either XScale or ARM 11, which might be more expensive.

I know we're paying quite a bit less for Atmel's AT91RM9200, and running it at 180 MHz. Of course, volume makes a difference, but depending on the package, DigiKey has the least expensive part at $16.65 in single quantities.

Atmel also has one or more newer ARM 9 parts, I'm not so familiar with them, but they are probably worth checking out.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

I did note that AnalogDevices now do a stacked die BlackFin

they claim 'starts at $13.75/10K', for devices with 500MHz core, with

148KB RAM.

Of course, the flash will not run at 500Mhz, but this looked an impressive single package.

I think intel also do stacked die XScales ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

What about staying in the family and using a Coldfire 54xx device?

Reply to
David Brown

There is - at Freescale. And it is just one, your observation holds true for the rest (unfortunately ....). Have a look at the MPC5200 - PPC 603e core, DDRAM, PCI, 10/100 Ethernet, USB 1.1 host, several multipurpose serial channels, about 1W at 400 MHz core clock. The cheapest they list is at $17.something for >1000 pieces.

Dimiter

News wrote:

Reply to
Didi