embedded hardware choices with good usb slave support?

Hi all What would be a good choice for low-end embedded hardware (single board sys

there is USB hardware onboard that can be configured to run in USB device / slave mode and there is kernel support for it; as in gadget driver. I gath er this mode or something like it was / is supported on the early RasPi mod els. Preferably on the software side there would be some bridge to userland so a s not to have to meddle in kernel affairs in order to implement a device pr otocol. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

--Dietmar

Reply to
Dietmar Nowack

Most will have a USB OTG ( On The Go ) port.

" Use of USB OTG allows those devices to switch back and forth between the roles of host and client."

The USB OTG port is often used to reflash devices.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Thanks for your answer, Les. You're right, it seems that OTG is available pretty much on all systems, with the exception RaspberryPI B models, as far as I could make it out. And GadgetFS is what I was looking for in terms of implementing device protocols; I guess I'm all set.

Cheers Dietmar

Reply to
Dietmar Nowack

Don't relax just yet.

Dig a little deeper and make sure there is software support for it to be used as you expect it to work. Unfortunately, this is a ragged process.

Using the OTG to reflash is critical; other uses are not.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Devil's in the details, to be sure.

That said I'm actually fairly confident now I can build upon the code examp les accompanying the GadgetFS API [essentially a generic USB kernel driver that maps packet streams, descriptors and endpoint configuration to user sp ace via the file system] in order to do what I want to do. Particularly so because my needs are more in the line of a simple FIFO rather than implemen ting the mass storage protocol implied by reflashing.

Cheers, Dietmar

Reply to
Dietmar Nowack