"Embedded" ATI display controllers

I am looking for some new display controller chip. I have used the b69030, but it is no longer available and although there are stockpiles of it, I am trying to figure out how I'll move forward. The chip I need should be PCI interfaced, and should be able to drive an LCD display and a monitor, I guess the DACs won't be needed any more, I'll use DVI. Memory should be on chip etc. - IOW, there is little I have on the 69030 I would like to give up (except for the DACs, that is). I saw some good looking chip advertisements on the ATI (

) website which were tagged as "embedded". However, pretty much as expected, there was no useful information about them - neither technical nor commercial. Has anyone really embedded anything from ATI in a product? I mean apart from the closed society of wintel compatible PC manufacturers, if it is only them then it will be a complete waste of time trying to get information and/or silicon (which is my default attitude, I just hope there might be someone with experience proving me wrong).

Thanks,

Dimiter

Didi

I tried (pre-merger). After three months of negotiation we got as far as an NDA and a partial datasheet on one part, and a $50-per-chip price if we agreed to buy 100K.

BTW, vanilla 33MHz PCI is dead as far as PC display interface buses go...

Take a look at Via Technologies. They seemed more embed-friendly (though of course x86-centric).

Reply to
larwe

Thanks, confirming my suspicions will save me wasted efforts. I know plain PCI (even 66 MHz) is no longer used in the PC world for display interfacing. The only option on the market I seem to find is

they seem to have some controllers, but I have not tried them (I remember considering them about a year ago and reverted back to the 69030 but I don't remember why, short product life expectation was one of the reasons I was not loking too hard for a change). I had a look at VIA and they do have some more info, but no datasheets. May be I'll try them after another while.

Dimiter

larwe wrote:

Reply to
Didi