Doorbell "button"

UPS and FedEx guys rarely change (they must be *assigned* to fixed "routes" -- ditto for letter carrier). They don't even bother with the doorbell -- unless a signature is required (just leave the package(s) by the front door and expect us to stumble across them).

Remember, I care little about unwanted/unsolicited guests. If I inconvenience them... . The folks who *know* me and are coming to *see* me will expend the effort and be suitably "entertained". The guy walking door to door trying to sell landscaping services... can keep on walking! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Don't know if you notices, but the second link had a link to light creative switches - they have a coinslot/piggy bank lightswitch.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

No, I didn't. And, I went back and couldn't find it, either (though I was amused by the geek T-shirts).

I discussed the idea of a "wave (light) switch" with a friend some years ago (wave your hand in front of it in an UPward motion to turn on, DOWNward to turn off, etc.). He apparently built a prototype of just such a device.

Reply to
Don Y

Better the house-shaking "bong" that accompanied it! (unless, of course, you've got an animatronic Lurch on hand to greet guests -- and take their *hats*!)

Reply to
Don Y

8th item
Reply to
Robert Wessel

Ah, OK!

I actually thought the MAGI light/switch was pretty cool! But, then again, I like "mechanisms" doing the work that electronics could otherwise do (etc.).

And, the switch-in-a-lexan-box looked interesting. It's unclear (to me) what the "remote control" description is intended to mean. It might be cool if a remote could

*physically* toggle the switch and, thus, control the "light"
Reply to
Don Y
[?]

How about a button or knocker that says something like ?don't do it? when one's hand gets close to it?

[?]
--
FSF associate member #7257
Reply to

I think it would be cooler for it to squirm out of your reach.

I.e., saying "don't do that" implies it is aware of your presence. Having it move out of your grip implies that -- and more! :>

Or, a knocker that refuses to be "lifted". But, once your hand has pulled away, lifts *itself* and knocks on your behalf!

Reply to
Don Y

They usually don't get to the door bell at my place.

I have:

wired up to a PC speaker system mounted near the front door. Have run 12VDC and audio on a 2 pair cable to it.

Announces arrival, then tells them we aren't interested in sales people.

We see the people in the hard hats, and orange vests with the ID tags hanging around their necks, look around wondering what the hell is going on before they depart. We record the successes on our CCTV system, and not to many persevere enough to get a verbal direct from the householder, asking them if they can read, as we have the usual crocodile moats signs everywhere.

Is a talking point with the couriers here, they love it.

Cheers Don...

New MMBasic Computer

Don McKenzie

Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

We're talking about screening in the front "porch" (entryway?) so getting to the *door* would be difficult. Hence the need for some sort of "button" (that can be located away from the real door)

Wouldn't help, here. I'll be *in* the front yard telling the guy walking up to the door that "we're not interested"... and, they'll

*still* walk up to the door.

("Um, what do you think *I* am? The gardener??")

Wish I lived in *your* neighborhood! :> People looking to "sell something" (landscaping service, CATV, "god", etc.) seem to not be easily deterred, here. So, we just don't answer the door (*or* the phone, for that matter! :> )

I was chatting with a friend who lives in an "exclusive" neighborhood nearby (gated community, multimillion dollar homes, etc.). She had the same complaint! I asked how these folks manage to get *into* her neighborhood in the first place (since *I* have to deal with The Gate Guard whenever *I* want to visit!)...

Reply to
Don Y