Digital Crystal Oscillator

I haven't run any tests that ran for loner than three weeks. I saw a maximum of less than 1% over a period of weeks. I didn't see a 1% drift every few nanoseconds. If it did have a 1% variation after only a few nanoseconds it could show a jitter of 100ps on that 10ns of code but I have no evidence that it changes that fast.

Many people have reacted to the 300ps latency to sync nodes as it faster than what they are used to. The fact that it will vary by only a few picoseconds is in line with everything else tested.

Sure. You sync to changes. The pulse kick timing is subject to probably less than the 1% variation on that 10ns of code from pulse to pulse than over a total of 10^15 cycles in a test. I have seen no reason to suspect that the driving pulse cannot tolerate that much variation. I think it a tempest in a teacup. If it were that hard to drive an xtal then all those simple circuits with cheap transistors would have the same problem.

I don't know what hardware you think you are describing. I am beginning to get a sense that you are not talking about the hardware that original poster asked about. When there is no clock to drive the design there is also no PLL or PWM hardware connected to the non-existence clock circuit.

Yes. He imagines something terrible like 20-80% and his simulations suggest that wouldn't work when he assumes it is that bad. I wonder what results he would get with

51% and 49%, I am used to seeing something very close to 50% so I hadn't imagined concerns over other things being between 20% and 80%.

Sure. Simulations are fine, but if you make the wrong guesses about things like where the sense threshold is the simulation may not do what the real chip does.

For twenty years I have been working on the develop of these sorts of chips. You have to do lots of simulation in the development process before you can make chips so you can't start by testing the chips. To make the whole process work you have to get the simulation to be accurate as possible to reduce chances that actual hardware may not work. We have things close enough that all the designs in the last few years have worked as predicted by simulation.

You can't get accurate enough numbers from other people to simulate the effect of things like the package will have on pads. So all you can do it make it and test it. You test the last one back from fab. You can't give the results of tests on chips with foundry, design, or package changes while the chips are in fab and are not yet packaged. You can predict a lot of things but the exact result of what the foundry and package house actually did always has to be tested.

We developed all the software for 4OS and the Internet Appliance at iTV in the bit level simulator on the PC and dropped a working application into the FLASH memory when chips came back from FAB and were tested. So I like simulations since they don't have the observer effect problem with probing things in the real world. All the ROM code on these chips was developed in simulation before the chips were made.

A logic analyzer won't show the circuit from the pin that starts the processor running at full speed in 300ps. That's internal to each processor ith one and not a circuit you can probe with hardware. Of course we had to make tests circuits with on-chip probes long ago to characterize these circuits and fine tune cad simulation.

Years ago we looked at a different chip as it was running in a scanning electron microscope. You could see individual transistors switching but you really couldn't measure the number of picoseconds of jitter on a

300ps internal circuit.

I have no idea how much variation in time take place in a

300ps transistor circuit from one switch to the next. Words like small, large, and very large are pretty meaningless. 5% sounds absurdly large to me but 15ps doesn't sound like a "very large" amount of time. You are free to make a value judgment that a couple of picoseconds sounds like a large amount of time to you.

My experience is that most people get argumentative when you go from milliseconds and microseconds in embedded computing to talking nanoseconds, and many people object when they start hearing discussions of picoseconds. And you are the first person to tell me that a couple of picoseconds is a long period of time.

With the danger of spinning further of subject I will say that rickman's SPICE simulations are fine. However the history of this whole project, for twenty years, has been designing and building circuits that SPICE says can't work. What was said almost twenty years ago was that SPICE has to be tuned down by about an order to magnitude to be able to predict what the circuits that come out of the fabs will actually do and the characterization that the fabs provide themselves are not very accurate. The fabs love FPGA because they use them to calibrate their own processes as best they can.

By working out where it was in error it was possible to get closer to the actual limit of the silicon. When we made a

500MHz processor in the 90s without pipelining or cache and in .8u CMOS we were told by SPICE and many chip experts in top companies around the world that we were off by an order of magnitude in our estimates and that 50MHz was the best we could expect to work. The experts on usenet said the same thing. We had lots of proof that SPICE said 50MHz was possible in .8u but that 500MHz was impossible. They would say, "Do you realize that Intel was only able to get 64MHz in .8u even with deep pipelining and cache?" Sure.

Some of the companies where these SPICE experts worked, besides our own, contracted for consulting to raise the skill of their designers and many licensed patents that were developed and that they wanted to use.

It was fun to then ask how it was possible for the person at that desk to be surfing the internet using an internet appliance using one of the chips that SPICE said could not possibly run at all. We have seen that on several generations of designs so I just warn you that SPICE isn't the last word on the subject, working circuits are.

We have learned how to tweak SPICE to get results that are closer to what our simulator predicts and to what the actual circuits do. But thinking that SPICE can simulate what goes on in the circuits inside of the chip is an error.

Since the new parts are not available yet people have only been able to place advanced orders. If they have something they need to know now they can ask and we can say what we have seen on the last version of the chip and what we expect. If it is something important attention will be paid to it.

I can say is that I never saw more than 1% variation in pulse timing over 10^15 cycles in a test. To me that says that things don't change more than that from one cycle to the next so I think concern about that is misplaced. I have also seen a threshold very close to 50% so again I think concern that it might be anywhere from 30% to 70% or from

20% to 80% also seems like misplaced concern.

I will run some threshold tests to see how much of an issue it is and we can see what simulation says with those numbers.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Jeff Fox

ie.

That ~20,000 ballpark is for a good comparator, and you can measure it, or you can look at the delayed timebase specs on good scopes. (1:20,000 is 86dB) I'd expect a generic digital pin, to be rather worse than that.

What ? to say a Digital chip operating, is going to be over 100x noisier than a digital chip not operating ? - Feel free to measure one, and report back.

Yes, but a) A separate oscillator AVOIDs any common mode inductance noise sources b) You can easily further filter a separate oscillator.

If you are chasing sub 50uA, then a linear-mode digital pin will likely not meet that. Ask the vendor for a Icc/Vin plot to be sure (or, derive your own)

My rule of thumb, is appx 20uA/MHz for a 'well designed' current feed Oscillator+Buffer.

-jg

Reply to
malcolm

[...]

That will be tough on the shallow slope that a 32.768kHz crystal generates. Regular oscillators have no problem with that as there is no threshold to worry about. If the tap-off to the circuit to be clocked is a concern that can be handled differentially but not if there's only one pin.

What I meant was that unless there is a clock or PLL (and there isn't here) the consecutive jitter values add up. Because an async processor goes from one step to the other based on the completion of prior steps, on the time that takes.

A clean CMOS design would be smack in the middle as you wrote, at 50%, and stay there. Much of the threshold uncertainty actually comes from VCC sags and ground bounce and this translates into phase noise or jitter. When the processor is doing other jobs at the same time VCC will not be stable. Decoupling caps can hold it rock solid externally but there's still the bond wires and the substrate.

That's a necessity in IC design. Same here, but my stuff is mostly analog, at least >50% of it. If the simulator is wrong the chip won't work and the boss (or client) would not be too happy.

Doing something similar for ultrasound right now, where the code needs to be part of the simulation. But it's partly analog and a white-knuckle ride because we are pushing the design rules.

I meant a spectrum analyzer where you can measure noise sidebands. HP8566 and similar. Direct connection isn't necessarily needed, getting close to a metal layer trace might be enough. No joke, we have on occasion carved a notch into the package and embedded a wee pickup coil.

In time domain you can't, I prefer spectrum analyzers. But not the highfalutin newfangled kind that secretly switches to FFT sometimes.

15psec is *huge* in my world :-)

When it's jitter, yes. But again, this depends on your application. In mine it usually is critical. In fact, we gauge things like track&hold aperture jitter during AD conversion in hundreds of femtoseconds. To give you an example, this one is claimed to be well under 0.1psec:

On many of my designs a couple of psec would have adverse effects on image quality. But it might not matter so much in Rick's case, I don't know.

I would have cheered you on and not told you that it's impossible. Because we also made chips in the 90's that lived with 7-8nsec pulses and all we had (at reasonable cost) were 0.8um processes.

Sure is, I agree. However, it's the models that aren't allowing it to simulate the real world.

Well, on the chip we are doing right now it better be accurate because that's all we've got until first silicon :-)

If you see 1% over 10^15 cycles that's pretty darn good although that still doesn't tell you about short term jitter. Anyhow, then the performance of this single-pin crystal oscillator might indeed hinge on the threshold performance (offset drift and such).

If you do that maybe let some other reasonable stuff happen in the various processor cores. It has an impact on threshold (bond wires, substrate bounce, crosstalk, and so on).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Are you simulating the chip in question ?

Can you give Icc/Vin simulation results, for both Schmitt and non- schmitt pin options, (if a choice exists) ?

Re threshold variations, these are the numbers from Atmel's ATF1504BE

ATF1504BE : Table 8-5. Schmitt Trigger Input Threshold Voltage VCCINT VTHL Min..Max ; VTLH Min..Max

1.70 0.68..0.73 ; 1.05..1.08 1.95 0.81..0.88 ; 1.18..1.22

So Atmel spec 50mV & 30mV at 1.70V, and 70mV & 40mV at 1.90V.

-jg

Reply to
malcolm

eck

2V

die.

20,000 of what to 1 of what? I don't know what this ratio is about...

re

00

Do you really think all digital chips are the same? Is a quad nand gate as noisy as an x86 processor drawing tens of amps of current? How do you know anything about how much noise this chip will generate?

ing

I haven't spoken with the vendor at all as they are very busy and have asked not to be bothered unless you have a real question... by that I assume they mean unless you are interested in buying a bunch of chips which I can't commit to in any meaningful way.

How do you come up with the 20 uA/MHz figure? The canned oscillators I find are more like 1 mA/MHz. Maybe I should try simulating a discrete oscillator in spice. I could measure the actual power consumption easily. But I am on to other things at the moment. Perhaps in a week or two.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

On Jan 6, 4:13=A0pm, rickman >

Well, it is CMOS, and metalized, and complex, so I apply experience in such devices, and get some ball park numbers, as well as obvious combinations to avoid. (one is the core running, when you need a low jitter threshold cross)

This was re the branch topic of lowering Jitter;

However, if you are serious about power, that's rather moot as you will not be trying to use a digital pin as a (lousy) comparator.

If we get the Icc/Vin sim's I asked for, you will see why.

-jg

Reply to
malcolm

Jeff, I want to respond to a couple of points you made.

Please don't exaggerate my statements. I said that the circuit stops working well as the threshold moves away from center. I said that most CMOS chips I have seen have specs on the input threshold of 30 to

70% Vdd and some are 25% to 75% Vdd. I don't know what the GA144 will be. That's because there is a lack of data available yet. But no one has said it would be 49% to 51% of Vdd. If so, it would work just fine. But that would require that not only are a handful of chips tested to this spec, but that by some means the production devices are assured to meet a given spec that will allow this circuit to work. We will see what come from GA over the next few months.

I'm not making guesses, I am exploring the design space. At Vth = .85 volts the circuit works ok. At Vth = 0.5 the circuit doesn't work at all. When I know where in that range the actual threshold is guaranteed to fall, I will do more tests.

I think you need to make a distinction between Spice and the models Spice uses. When you try to simulate a transistor drawn on near state of the art process dimensions you are working in a zone that is not as well understood as capacitors and resistors. Not simulating chips accurately is not the same as not being able to accurately simulate a resonant circuit.

When I found the biasing problem running the Spice simulation I realized that this was actually pretty obvious. I don't need Spice to tell me that if Vth < 1/2 * Vdd, then Vdd - Vth is greater than Vth. So a deviation in threshold voltage from 1/2 * Vdd will produce a bias to the crystal oscillation voltage in the opposite direction. If that deviation is large enough the oscillations are disturbed or or stop. So I will wait until the threshold voltage range is specified or GA provides an oscillator circuit design that they assure me will work reliably and within some provided specs.

I actually would not be using Spice for simulation, but using such a non-linear drive as this narrow impulse is hard to describe mathematically in a way that has meaning in an oscillator circuit. I'm not an analog guy.

I guess GA must think the oscillator issue is one that has some interest. After all, they wrote a small piece of an app note about it. It would have been nice if they had finished it. I'm actually a little leery though. Albert has quoted someone from GA as saying something like once you have the crystal oscillating sustaining the oscillations "is trivial". Personally, I think that is backwards. Pinging the crystal hard enough to make it ring is pretty trivial. As the author of the app note says, "even mechanically banging on the crystal should get it to oscillate at its resonant frequency with low amplitude". Making the crystal oscillate reliably, in a stable manner with low jitter (phase noise) is a much harder problem.

I'm not sure what you can measure really. The threshold variation is something that will happen some with temperature, maybe, but much more so with process variation. My understanding is that this is something that has to be specified and tested on the production chips. But I am sure you know more about this than I do.

I did another round of simulations to try to pin down how much the threshold offset impacts the oscillations. Of course this will also depend on the details of the crystal model and the other circuit components. I used a resistor between the crystal and the I/O pin driver and varied it to see if it helps. I was not able to get sustained oscillations even with a threshold voltage of 0.85 volts. Perhaps I have something wrong in the simulation, but the circuit is pretty durn simple.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

That's a Schmitt trigger circuit. The variations in input threshold have nothing to do with the threshold variations in a non-Schmitt trigger input.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I stand corrected. The point is that GreenArrays counts the total drain on the power supply.

Albert van der Horst

Experiment trumps theory. As the Green Array folks have it running this means your simulation is somehow off.

I didn't wait, I just contacted them.

Albert van der Horst

e)

That must be why their app note shows all the details of how this circuit works... If they have it running, why wouldn't they have that posted? What exactly do they have running?

BTW, in case you didn't actually read my several postings on the problem I encountered, understanding the problem has nothing to do with the Spice simulation. I was not aware of the issue until I saw it in the simulation, but the problem is very easily understood if you know how to add and subtract. I would like to know exactly how they are making the circuit work if it is indeed working properly. Oscillating and oscillating with stability, accuracy, etc are totally different.

Rick

Reply to
rickman