Connection in exterior concrete pad

I think when we hit the 1kW mark for power requirements it ruled out POE.

I looking at some wireless possibilities for the network. If that looks feasible that would just leave the power.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett

You might also want to look at *fiber*. You might be able to run this *in* the same box as the power since it is "just a piece of plastic"

(I am not knowledgeable enough to give an opinion)

Reply to
Don Y

I think that only applies to "violations" but not "grandfathered" (whether explicitly or not) conditions.

E.g., if you built your house in the 50's, you didn't run an "earth" with the current carrying conductors. Rewiring an entire house to *add* that just because you sold it in 2011 would make it impractical to *ever* sell a house.

Here, I think the seller is "on the hook" for 5 years after the sale (e.g., if the house burns down and they determine it was due to wiring problems, the seller can be sued)

What I meant was, if you own a business and have some electrical work done, will the inspector say, "Gee, this *other* stuff is only current to the 2005 Code and you will have to upgrade it all to 2011 Code..."

Reply to
Don Y

Fiber often is exempt, although there are exceptions (some armored cables, for example, are conductive). But it does vary by local code, so check that first. Fiber is also admirably resistant to electrical noise, which can be an issue in that sort of installation. It also nicely isolates any gear attached to whatever is going on this pad.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

Ah, good point!

The last point being especially significant in terms of susceptibility to "bounce" from nearby lightning strikes, etc. For those cases where you "forgot" to disconnect the equipment on the other end of the line...

Reply to
Don Y