building an AVR programmer CABLE

Or the fact that many older lead parts will never get sold and end up in landfills rather than used in products which won't get thrown away.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Prezactly!

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

As far as the parts go, that price has to be paid at some point or else, if no price is to be ever paid, there never will be any change at all. So I suppose that's just a barrier to climb over and not look back on -- or else do nothing.

I don't know about the higher temperatures used and the associated aggregate energy costs over time... but frankly I consider many electronics products to be of "very high utility value," which makes their energy use well worth the environmental costs.

For example, acute respiratory infections (ARI) kill more than 2 million children every year. It's the larger cause of child mortality and kills more than HIV/AIDS plus malaria plus measles, combined. It can become pneumonia and studies show that timely treatment reduce those mortalities by about half. Pulse oximeters actually help reduce mis-diagnoses by a large factor (I think I've read somewhere, by a factor of 8 or something similarly fantastic from my point of view) and have helped us achieve a successful diagnosis rate, where pulse oximeters are applied, of about 99% in these pneumonic ARI cases.

Frankly, any energy cost we pay for a pulse-ox in the right place and time is probably worth it.

Of course, that's not all we do with electronics. They also save lives in industrial situations (for example, recognizing early when a saw mill's motor driving a saw blade may be nearer to a destructive wear out event.) Or they may simply help reduce energy costs in otherwise seriously wasteful situations (glass, aluminum, and steel mills, for example.) But that is some of it. Perhaps those kinds of benefits make RoHS energy costs pale, in comparison. Just a thought.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Or even recognizing when the blade is cutting material with the wrong elasticity, which might be a finger or an arm rather than a block of wood! At least, I've heard of this being done.

Reply to
mc

Nice idea in principle, but it has a major flaw. There's no such thing as a product that won't get thrown away. It'll just get thrown away a bit later.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Some actually get recycled :-)

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

Exactly!

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes, but then it's someone else's problem ;-)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

I've built an AVR cable that used satin wire (flat 8 conductor) and had no trouble, even using long cables (it's a DB25-RJ45 on one end and the programmer has a RJ45 socket).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to