msp430 jtag: does usb = parallel + par-to-usb cable?

i see usb JTAGs selling for ~$70. e.g.

i'm wondering though is i could get a parallel JTAG for $15:

and combine it with a usb to parallel db25 cable for $5:

will that work!?? thanks.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

ooops. posted wrong link:

4MLA1FN

great for standard printers, and I figure no chance of working to a programmer without a software rewrite of the driver.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460

No More Damn Spam: http://www.wizard-of-oz.com
Reply to
Don McKenzie

In general, no. The USB to parallel cables don't provide a fully virtualized parallel port.

Reply to
larwe

okay, i figure it was too good to be true. i'll get the real usb version. thanks alot for the input.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

hi don. thanks alot for the advise. i'll get the usb fet.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

Why do people use these 'tinyurl's? They give no warning as to what they are connecting to, and I have no idea what their half-life is, but I suspect it is fairly short.

CBFalconer

In my experience, that is exactly why: they point to something you wouldn't click on if you knew what it really was.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I KAISER ROLL?! What
                                  at               good is a Kaiser Roll

sorry. just a habit i've gotten into to avoid urls wrapping, etc. you raise a good point though.

Reply to
4MLA1FN