BLEduino - Gone for Good?

I can't find any responses to questions asked in the forum. There seems to be no way to buy these. The only sign of life is that there are posts that people got the boards they paid for through kick starter.

You wouldn't think they would let this die. It seems worthwhile and potentially profitable.

This sort of device is perfect for a prototype I am building. I haven't found any others like it, MCU married to the bluetooth function.

Also, anyone know if bluetooth can be peer to peer or if it is like USB in that one end has to be master and the other slave? I'm talking about hardware. If the only difference between the two ends is software it doesn't matter to me. I just want to have two MCUs talking over a virtual serial port connection.

I found RFduino and that seems to be right up the alley. Some of the documentation is a bit odd though. They show code examples of

*functions* which appear to be used like a variable.

RFduinoBLE.send() is a function. Here is their example.

RFduinoBLE.send = (myarray, 5); //Sends a character array called myarray with a length of 5

Is this something in C that I missed? Or maybe they aren't using C?

--

Rick
Reply to

There are heresies where the piconets are more sophisticated than a designated master.

That should be easy. This link is just an example; haven't tried these particular units.

I recall these kind of things being sort of unreliable. Didn't spend much time on it; it didn't "work" and we went back to cables.

That's not 'C'.

You can have "callback" in a struct in 'C'.

typedef struct { int (*compar)(const void *, const void*) } mySortinAh;

int x(const void *a,const void *b) { .... return 0; }

mySortinAh.compar = x;

qsort(...,mySortinAh.compar...);

I didn't even try to compile that; there may be some whinging from the compiler you'll need to address.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

The Arduino environment is a subset of C++; "send()" is a method of the class RFdunioBLE. That being said, using assignment to actually do something like send the array in this line:

RFduinoBLE.send = (myarray, 5);

is a rather obtuse use of the language - I'm not sure exactly how they're implementing that but I wouldn't do it that way. Functions are overloadable in C++, you just need to define multiple methods in the class with the same name and different arguments and the compiler will figure it out, so you could have one "send" method for single characters, one for arrays, etc.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks. The other thing I have asked them about is that they use the Arduino environment for programming their modules, but they use an ARM processor. I thought Arduinos were all ARMs, no? Is the actual compiler a separate part of the overall package?

--

Rick
Reply to

WOW, talk about wishful thinking !!

Yes

A simple google search would have prevented you from making a stupid^H^H^H^H^Hilly statement.

Reply to
hamilton

Sorry, I meant AVRs.

No, there is nothing to prevent stupid statements.... lol It was a typo... Now, do you have anything useful to say?

--

Rick
Reply to

You haven't? How about the Blend Micro?

Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
Reply to
Torfinn Ingolfsen

Arduinos were traditionally AVR8's but now there are some ARM models.

One of the Arduino easy-for-newbies features was they were programmed with something called sketches, a graphical tool or DSL for embedded controllers. I'm not sure exactly how it worked (I never used it) but it apparently produced C code, that then wiggled the CPU's control wires by calling a certain API that the toolkit supplied.

So when boards like the Arduino claim Arduino capability, I think it means they ship a library that implements that C-callable API, so you can use the Sketch tool to produce C programs which you then compile with a C compiler for that board's CPU. It doesn't mean you can move binaries from AVR arduinos to the ARM boards.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Too early, need coffee :)

The above was supposed to say: when boards like the RFDuino claim Arduino compatibility...

Reply to
Paul Rubin

"Blend Micro runs as BLE peripheral role only"

Thanks for the link, but I need units to talk to each other.

--

Rick
Reply to

I see I needed to nose around their site more. I dug into the forum and found someone else asking about "central" mode. The answer is that the Blend Micro can't run in "central" mode but that the Blend Nano can. :) But the software for this is still in Beta testing. :(

The nano does solve one problem for me. It has 11 I/Os which might be enough for my app without adding a port expander.

--

Rick
Reply to

Could be C++ with = being an overloaded operator?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

That's what it is, but it's a retarded use of operator overloading as far as I can see. I don't know why they didn't just overload the send method, unless it is assigning to a serial port register associated with the class also named "send", which is also bad...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/