best processor compatible with 80C52FA?

I need to upgrade the cpu in a system to get more memory, speed and any other features that might be availble. The replacement cpu needs to be pin compatible with the 80c51fa. I'm leaning toward the Dallas

89c450. It has 64k of internal flash code memory, 1k of extra RAM, and runs at 1 cycle per instruction (x12). The crystal that I'm currently running is only 11 mhz. Would that be the best chioce for memory, speed, availability?

thanks, Wilfred

Reply to
Wilfred Johnson

Like any question like this one, there may be other factors you need to look at.

1) What country are you in ??

If Dallas does not sell there, it matters little if is a good choice, you will have to look for something else.

2) How fast do you need it, how much will it cost ??

Dallas (maxim-ic.com) web site shows 18 week lead time for a 40-pin DIP and 19 week lead time for a TQFP. Cost is $9.51 for the DIP and $7,86 for the TQFP ( in 1K pcs each).

If this is for a real product, contact Dallas/maxim-ic.com and ask for a sample. What is nice about the 80x51 family, is most (not all) parts will work in an existing design. ( after you take into account timing issues with the higher speed or higher through put.

The best answer in "try it".

Wilfred Johns> I need to upgrade the cpu in a system to get more memory, speed and

Reply to
hamilton

The FX core has many sources : Dallas is the fastest, with std pinout, there are also

W78ERD2 - New from Winbond AT89C51ED2 - Atmels newest variant P89[L]V51 - Philips SST89V55x - SST

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville