Automotive Software and the Law

Most Countries do not have a specific law that states in such and such Act the body must be made only of certain metals.

They have sets of laws (which is part of the problem)

1/ Basic standards Headlights max power and alignment brakelights must be Red at least 2 of them and usually a wattage None of which dictates for on lights what the lumens must be (France and yellow headlights come to mind)

For this country steering wheel must be left or right etc

General comments like to meet standards of certifying agency at time of manufacture (rarely retroactive)

Minimum of from this date all cars must have a seat belt Changes in requirements over time dealt with by certifying agency (because it is quicker usually and done with consultation with manufacturers they regularly deal with)

Often these laws are varied or cover specific aspects, lights seat belts, emmisions SEPARATELY

Then there are different classifications for types of vehicles

2/ General Laws from treaties and international agreement

For example layout of which side wipers and lights should be on steering column was at one time haphazd but change by agreement during 70's era.

Acceptance of certain countries/regional authority vehicle certification standards as complete or starting point.

3/ General Guidelines for Certifying agemcy its goals and limits With the power to set standards usually in forms of publications

Often from a general law about a Vehicle Category(s) and the minimum MANUFACTURING requirements and which certifying agencies are involved.

Then you have usually Insurance Body or Motor Manufacturer Body lead initiatives like

Thatcham Group and Euro NCAP (now be copied around the world China, India.....)

Which partly testing before production, during sales AND analysis of crashes over time by model and type of incident.

These also go into Driver Assitance Systems (Lane Support, Speed Assist, Collision Mitigation...) no doubt before long driverless systems.

MISRA which most people here have heard of

Most of these have for decades been more about mechanical, electrical and fire safety, simply due to the fact that that was what the major components were.

Rarely do they consider drivers need retraining.

    PC Services
   Logic Gates
Education
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

I've seen claims that, statistically, the self-driving cars are safer, but generate more news in a crash. Hence, since they're a new thing, they get tarred and feathered.

Dunno what truth is, but it certainly seems plausible.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

But if no one looks at your code, how can they know you don't have a VB brake controller?

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

DO-178 (it's not 128 -- I was corrected recently) and medical device standards enforce processes that tend to lead to significantly reduced defect rates. So they're not _directly_ reducing defects, but they can certainly _effectively_ reduced defects.

And yes -- I see your point on self-driving cars.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Also how statistically significant they are in volumes, standard cars how many millions per country, driverless how many thousands.

What are the accident ratios reported (even to insurers for each type) Then the unreported ones.

    PC Services
   Logic Gates
Education
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Yep. And in the larger sense, crashes will be analyzed and fed back into various code bases. This could play the role that the NTSB plays in aviation ... mishaps.

Statistical arguments are like that.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to