Automotive CAN

Hi, we have experience in CAN and Canopen (we have designed several CANOPEN devices); now we have been asked for a device which should be mounted on cars, connected to the low speed CAN bus. As far as I have seen, there isn't a standard like Canopen; are there any links or documents regarding the protocols used by car manufacturers?

--
Capoccetta
Reply to

J1939

Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

SAE J1939 is used in large trucks, ag equipment, marine, etc. But not cars. For that you have to look at J1708 or J1587.

Not that those are universal. Or even common.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

agreed,

Hi, thanks to your hints I've found several interesting links. There seems to be an attempt at standardization only for trucks and buses. Since my only purpose is to recognise packets to trigger on and off an anti-theft system, I think I'll connect a CAN bus analyzer and try to sniff them out model by model, hoping that message format follows J1939.

Capoccetta

Reply to
Capoccetta