Atmega8 questions

Hi there..

Until now i have used the PIC16F84 for my embedded projects, but a friend of mine told me about the atmel AVR, which looks very nice compared to PIC's. My questions is:

First im looking for a tutorial or a good book on asm/c programming the atmega8, so I can get started :)

Im also looking for some useful information on building a programmer which works under linux/bsd

And lots of other useful information ;-)

Toke Jansen

P.S is there any irc channel for embedded systems?

Reply to
tjh

try this site:

you will have to login for the better details. rw

Reply to
Rein Wiehler

the=20

free membership then go to academy

search via google for avr programmer or avr isp(in system programming)

Below few AVR links which should keep you busy for a bit

Alex

for c compiler avr-gcc and tutorials , app notes

other free compiler for avr (I haven't tried it yet) is sdcc (need cygwin to run on windows)

older version
get the latest version here

first call for programs and software, app notes etc

software
support tools

guitar tuner
avr mp3 players

mini dds / function = generator

dds vfo

50MHz frquency = counter

temperture controller

altimeter and = timers

avr amatuer radio projects including 6 channel voltmeter, freq counter, function = generator,dds,beacon keyer

midi projects

moving message display, displays,

playstation mod chip, gps data parser, gps display,
avr projects and file archive

seril port and = lcd

avr links page

Ham Radio Related Projects including: VFO Counter/Stabilizer and Programmable PLL board

POCSAG encoder, AVR Based TNC for APRS, Radio to RS-232 interface

servo, stepper, control

avr = projects ranging from 3 axis magmetometer, cnc drive,

mp3 player, I2C,keyboard driver, printf for lcd, graphic lcd

tcpip over ethernet, avr = microkernal

avr robot

clock, 3 channel dac, rs232 to wireless, wireless frequency meter, rf strength meter, 8 channel pwm,

cross assembler 8051 to = avr (not released yet)

CAN Remote Automation and Control with = the AVR

ultrasonic measurement

nixie tube clock (use google to = translate) and other projects

tools and code for lots = of diffrerent projects

IDE Harddisk = interface for micro controllers

telemntry and = datalogging

metal detector,

avr help works out uart = and port pins etc

getting started = with avr
getting = started with atmega 128
getting started with = gcc on atmega 128

projects, lcd , led light chaser, = digital and led thermometers and stepper motor driver

control projects via gsm phone, pocketpc to rs232, graphic lcd driver

m lcd controller

gameboy camera interface
herky jerky robot

good information on = AvrTiny.+ examples and RTOS

open source embedded systems library

electronics, embedded systems and programming pnoyprog, canbus home automation, minithreads

links for I2C

mp3 player using atmega 128

AVR-Assembler-Tutorial

projects and realitime os

projects lcd, thermometer, clock and libraries = for lcd and one wire

dontronics avr pages

embedded systems links

servo control with avr's

avr mp3 player with fat = hdd

ethernut , web server etc using avr

RTOS see AVR freaks

ucos

nutos

other rtos for avr

=3Davr+rtos

also look at the compiler developer web pages for examples and rtos IAR

Imagecraft
Bascom

Alex Gibson

Hi!

UISP with 4 wires from the parallel port to the chip!

I have a AVR intro on my embedded page :

Including a full howto on installing the toolset under GNU/Linux.

I have just set up the avr-gcc environment under GNU/Linux (Gentoo) including the avr-gcc C compiler, simulator, and burner.

My first mega8 was a piece of cake to burn and is running my first test program as I type this.

The main site for GNU/Linux is

I wouldn't waste your time with Avrfreaks as it's too Windows centric to be a lot of use to GNU/Linux users setting up the toolset, though code examples etc may be of use ?

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
    My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2

Check out AVRDUDE:

Note the simple parallel port cable programmer on that page. We just released version 4.2, you can find the source tarballs and rpms here:

If you are using FreeBSD, all the AVR tools are part of the "ports" system. For example, to install the compiler (avr-gcc), programmer (avrdude), avarice (jtag enabler), avr-gdb (source level debugger), and simulavr (simulator), just do this:

% cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gcc && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avrdude && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avarice && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gdb && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/simulavr && make install

I happen to sell couple of AVR boards with the ATmega128 processor (top of the line AVR). You can find that here:

For some more info on AVR tools, take a look at my "dev tools" page:

Good luck!

-Brian

--
Brian Dean, bsd@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board