AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C

Has anyone here got any experience with these chips? I'm looking into trying to make a Compact Flash mp3 player using:-

  1. AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C - Microcontroller with MP3 decoder, DAC and amplifier, as well as compact flash interface and USB facility to update firmware -
  2. Nokia 3310 Display (Philips PCD8544) - 84x48 B/W screen -
  3. 5way Joystick -
  4. LTC3429 - Boost Convertor -

However, I'm finding several problems. Firstly those microcontrollers seem completely unavailable from any shops because they're completely new, also they don't have a development kit yet. Another problem will be their package, BGA100 and I can't seem to find any applicable adapters for this.

Any thoughts, comments, answers? Thanks in advance

Pete

Reply to
Pete

trying

on=viewall

Are you sure you want to make this? For not too much money you can buy a complete mp3 player that's likely much smaller that what you can achieve, at least not for the same money. It will save you a lot of hassle I think. You can't really mount BGA's yourself, and you need a fine line multilayer PCB (e.g. expensive) to even get it routed in a reasonable space. Getting hold of these chips will be difficult, especially as a private person. And they will be expensive.

Have you looked into the SND1? This one comes in a TQFP144 package I believe, which is far easier to work with. I have a little player with this chip and a development kit; though I don't have any experience with it, it's collecting dust in a box.

The golden days of DIY MP3 players are gone I guess.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen