Address Monitor

Howdy,

Are there are tools for the x86 NT platform that can monitor/log read and write requests to a particular address range. I'm working on linux drivers, and of course the only reference I have is the binary drivers in windows. The drivers for linux are more or less functional, however there's a little quirk that I haven't been able to figure out.

I have a few utilities to read and write the device in the user mode working, but I'm interested in following the binary driver at a particular point in time.

For example, in my case the range is at CFEF0000 to about CFEF4000. I believe it's memory mapped IO registers. There are particular register reads and writes I'm interested in.

Any ideas?

Brett

Reply to
Brett Foster

"Brett Foster" wrote

An In-Circuit Emulator (ICE) or a logic analyzer.

Microsoft doesn't use ICE. Balmer: "We find it too hard to use", 1st OS/2 conference. The result -- Denver Airport baggage handler, blue screen of death, retry-fail-abort, ctl-alt-del, 'An exception has ....'.

You can always try breakpoints and single-stepping ...

Punt.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Or SoftICE. Used to be NuMega. Now Compuware IIRC. I used it about

5 years back for device driver development: it was _awesome_.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

AMC CodeTEST?

Al.

Reply to
Al

Eh Hmm... the software solutions were too complicated to be useful.

I wired up some logic probes to monitor an internal bus, and I eventually traced down a datasheet. (Wrong part number didn't help!) Alas two days before I finally figured everything out somebody had already beat me to the punch! Of course I found out later.

Thanks, Brett

Reply to
Brett Foster